A very big step

Auckland Travel Blog

Welcome to Auckland

My great kiwi adventure has begun on the 1st April when I flew from Berlin (Germany) with several stopovers to Auckland (New Zealand).

After almost 30 hours on a plane the feeling after my arrival in the ‘City of Sails’ was pretty special. And even my missing suitcase couldn’t really stop my happiness ;-). It was almost unbelievable how far away my family, friends and home would be for the following 11 months. But I was absolutely thrilled and looking forward to my time in a totally new world.

I stayed the first days up in Auckland and enjoyed the ocean views, a sailing trip and some of many new impressions.

Sailing aboard the ‘Breeze’

Boy, that was a great start into my new kiwi life!

On April 5th some newly met friends and I went on a sailing trip aborad the traditional sailing boat ‘Breeze’. The welcome to the ‘City of Sails’ couldn’t have been more original!

The nice ‘Hello’ and the informative and important instructions from the friendly and really enthusiastic crew made us feel like proper sailors.

I’ve been on sailing tours before but putting to sea from Auckland’s harbour was a special feeling ��" a new city, a new country, a new continent but the beloved feeling of this special freedom! Take just one breath and you’ll dive into another world.

The crew was totally great because all members were keen on informing us about parts of New Zealand’s history, showing us different useful tricks for a successful day on board and entertaining us at the same time.

Being an active crewmember was both challenging and really good fun. You need to react as fast as a lightning when the wind changes or a surfer comes into the way but you can rely on good team spirit as well.

A picnic on a tiny island was a welcome possibility of having lunch, walking along the beach, listening to the waves and dreaming of long gone adventures about pirates and the their Treasure Island.

RH122 says:
Great Blog!
Posted on: Jul 19, 2009
Real_PeaceWarrior says:
NZ uber cool!
Posted on: Jun 27, 2009
bkretzer says:
I want to go to NZ and Oz one day! Nice blog!
Posted on: May 30, 2009