Working in Banff

Banff Travel Blog

After finishing the ski season at Big White my Irish housemate , Ross, and I got a bus to Banff. I had lined up a job at the Banff Gondola by applying over the internet and had a phone interview. We stayed at the samesun backpackers the night we got there and I was in my staff accomodation the next night. Ross applied for a job there when we got there and he was put into staff accom too within a couple of days. It is really easy to get a job in Banff but accom is so hard and expensive so it's a good idea to get a job with staff accom.

The wage here was a little bit better and the staff accom was really cheap so it was affordable to live here. I worked at the ticket counter at the gondola which is a sightseeing gondola not a ski hill. It is very popular in the summer sometimes we would get over 5000 people a day! By far the best way to see the rockies, besides from a helicopter which I did while I was there and it is definately worth the money! The company I worked for was Brewster which also runs buses all through the rockies and to Calgary, the icefields and boat tours. We got to do all tours and travel for free which saved me hundreds of dollars! I got to do nearly everything there is to do in the Rockies it is even more spectacular than in any photos. I was extremely lucky to live there and see so much.

During the summer I made a few trips to Calgary, including the Calgary Stampede which was a lot of fun. I also went to West Edmonton Mall (one of the worlds largest shopping centres). It has a waterpark, themepark, shooting gallery, ice skating rink, sea lion shows, and a hotel which I stayed in. It's called the Fantasyland Hotel and it has themed rooms. I stayed in the polynesian room which had a spa with a waterfall! The rooms were really nice and because when you went down the lift to the reception area you just walk into the mall from there so for the 3 days I was there I never went outside! There was so much to do, I even did a bungee jump over the wave pool in the waterpark!

I am so happy I spent a whole summer in Banff because there is so much to see and do there! Work was fun and unlike Big White which was mainly Aussies, there was a lot more Canadians that worked there too. Mainly from Ontario and Montreal.

Banff