Working ski season at Big White

Big White Travel Blog

This was my first time overseas. I flew from Adelaide to Sydney, stayed overnight then to Kelowna via Honolulu and Vancouver. I had already got a job at Big White ski resort so I arrived about 5 days before I had to start work to get bank account etc. I had gone through an organisation called Overseas Working Holidays here in Australia. They were helpful as it was my first time overseas but now that I know how easy it is to get a job in canada I would just do it on my own.

I stayed in Kelowna for a couple of days before heading to the mountain. This is a beautiful town and I made a few trips down during the season I just wish I had seen it in the summer.

Within 10 minutes arriving on the mountain I met one of the girls that I was sharing a room with at the backpackers and she asked me if I wanted to go to the pub so I dumped my stuff and off I went.

I got introduced to a few people and it was like everyone had known each other for years but they had actually only known each other a few days. Everyone was so friendly and most people had come there on their own so it was very easy to meet people. I met a couple of girls who had found accommodation and were looking for room mates so I had arranged that night to look at one place which I ended up moving in to.

I started working as a housekeeper at one of the resorts on the mountain. Had a great group of people to work with which made work a lot of fun! One of the duty managers left within a month so I got the job which was crazy considering I had no management experience and there I am in charge of a hotel! It was easy though and had heaps of fun doing it.

Was at the pub nearly every night which drained my money big time! It was expensive living there and the wage is not good at all but it was a great experience and I met a lot of friends including some I will be friends with for the rest of my life so I don't regret it at all.

As I had never skiid or snowboarded before Big White was a great place to start. There are green runs off every mountain and it is a ski-in ski-out resort. I lived in trailside so I could walk about 5 minutes to the ski lift and go right up the top and I could snowboard all the way back to my front door step! It was awesome!

I would recommed Big White to anyone who wanted to have a lot of fun but not to save any money at all!

Big White