a weekend trip from Madrid

Sepulveda Travel Blog

Sepulveda Main square with the ruins of an ancient castle behind the town hall

Sepulveda is close to Madrid (just a couple of hours by car) and here its famous by two different animals: the vulture (near Sepulveda there is an important natural reserve plenty of griffon vultures) and the lamb, because Sepulveda is the best place for having a tasteful roast lamb!!!!!!

We had an offer to stay at the hotel "puerta de sepulveda" so we went this winter to rest for a while, have some trekking and eat the wonderful roast lamb of this place. We discover two things: first of all, Sepulveda have a lot of things to do and see in natural enviroment, and second, its freezing cold at winter!!!! Anyway, the town is incredible with lots of narrow streets and old medieval houses, and you can scape from cold with the tipical castilian soup.

Duratón river and ravines

On saturday we went to the natural park of Duratón river, which is very close from sepulveda. In fact, inside one of Sepulvedas churches resides the information site of the natural park. There is some routes to trekking along the natural park. We went for a short walk besides the river into a path down the ravines with lots of natural caves along the way. Then we went to see the main atraction of the park, the lonely (and abandoned) chapel of san Frutos, which is at the very end of one of the "canyons" the river has formed in the mountain.

From there, is very easy to see some vultures flying around or resting in their own caves at the ravines. It was very funny for me, as this was my first real opportunity to take the most from my newest zoom lens!

We finished our day at a nearby town, Riaza, close to the sky station of Madrid.

On sunday we went walking through Sepulveda, enjoying the different churches they have and watching some more vultures close to the town before eating a roasted lamb in a very tipical place. I think it´s the best lamb I ever have!!

Sepulveda Main square with the rui…
Sepulveda Main square with the ru…
a vulture flying