Hawks Nest & Babcock State Park

Fayetteville Travel Blog

Hawks Nest Overlook
Took the best road trip today. Totally unplanned, yet we were out of the house and on the road within 1 hour. Our inspiration was the sudden beautiful weather. I mean who in their right mind would have stayed inside on a day like this one.

We took St. Rt. 60 towards Fayetteville West Virginia. Stopped off at the few scenic over looks. Acted crazy and read the poorly written grafitti that was written on the guard rail. Jumped back into the car and tackled a few more sharp curves on that road. Made it to Hawks Nest overlook. Hmm, it is a nice site. We seemed to have been up so high in the mountains. Of course, the leaves are not yet on the trees so the site wasn't exceptionally pretty. Still, I was happy to be there looking down at the active river.
Babcock State Park

We jumped back into the car, zig-zagged our way down Rt 41 south to Babckock State Park. We were greeted by a nosey deer. He checked us out for a while and then finally said we could enter the park. The rocks and water and the Gris Mill were beautiful. Some people were fishing  and others simply were absorbing the sounds and smells surrounding them. I was in awe. I had only seen that Gris Mill in magazines! Finally, I was here to take my shot with my camera!

We'll see how the shots turn out. We were there too early in the day and my shots may be a little over exposed. Though, I'm sure something can be salvaged.

Anyway, a small day trip can make your whole day terrific! The next time we are blessed with good weather, get up & go. You'll be happy that you did it. You don't have to go far. Just a few miles out somewhere you don't usually drive through. Open your eyes and notice things. Most importantly, let your problems roll off of your shoulders for the day. They'll wait for you at home.
pamipoo7777 says:
this is encouraging...i am headed to wva next week and again in oct for bridge day......i cant wait to see this beautiful scenry
Posted on: Jul 12, 2008
oldschoolbill says:
I think your pics turned out great! Sometimes if you can keep planning to a min. everthing works out the way it is supposed.
Posted on: Feb 03, 2008
Back side of the Gris Mill
Back side of the Gris Mill
Waterfall at Gauley Bridge
Waterfall at Gauley Bridge
Babcock State park in front of the…
Babcock State park in front of th…
The Gris Mill at Babcock State Park