AsiaChinaWuhan

The Wheel Is In Motion

Wuhan Travel Blog

~ May 19th and 20th ~ Journey Day Fourteen and Fifteen~

Taking a great leap in the timeline, as nothing overly interesting or blog worthy transpired (I know, a shock but really the drama isn’t worth writing about), we now arrive to Tuesday May 19th. Basically I learned how to make dumplings to feed myself from Li. I managed to complete one side of my partner’s rubix cube (which is a trying task for me but she loves those things, does them in minutes) and have been watching Chinese shows as listening to Chinese does not hurt my head so bad in the past so many days.  I’m even picking up enough Chinese to gain a vague idea of what people are talking about and even knew that today (May 20th) Li and the young taxi driver were talking about me. Something like
Taxi Driver: “where is she from?”
Li:  “Canada”
Taxi Driver: “Does she speak Chinese?”
Li: “Only bao bao, baozi, ni hao, xie xie”

Yes, careful people I am a fast learner and I clue in when my name or country of origin is mentioned.

What Li and I had for dinner

Taking a moment to reflect, I’m pretty proud of myself because I went from being a child to a woman, from living with my parents to on my own in a new country. I’ve learned to adapt to the customs, to eat their food with their utensils and even understand and speak their language to a very limited extent. I’m proud of myself. I took a bad situation and defused it, took responsibility and worked towards a feasible goal instead of letting someone else deal with it for me.  I did this all in record time too.

On May 19th with the help of Li writing Chinese on a cell phone so I could show the taxi driver, I made my way to Hubei University, gave my phone off to some strangers so Li could ask them to help me find the office and from there I began the process of becoming a language student in Hubei University. I found my way home even in the rain, even with some unfriendly drivers and it never felt so good.

Hubei University
 Was I terrified? Absolutely.  Did I think I would get home? Absolutely. Would I do that all over again. In a minute.  It proved to me and others what everyone should already know. I have a level head, I don’t panic and I always find a way to make things work. I’m okay on my own, I know just how to survive and surviving is the hardest thing. If you can survive, everything else is a piece of cake.

It rained again today, but today I had my cousin Li (I guess he really is family now) with me so it wasn’t so lonely and the day not so bad. We got all the paperwork done that needed to be completed, checked out a bank I could withdraw money from and headed to the University. Since we were early we took a tour of the place which is rich in vegetation and the set up is simple astounding. Our universities are not quite as elegant and earthy. At one point I really felt like we were walking through a forest or jungle.

Hubei University
The muggy heat with nothing but trees and green around us was enough to make it feel like truth.

With all said and done, everything is in place for me to be a student. All the paperwork is done, the process is in motion. All that is left is to meet Wei at home tomorrow (yes, she finally comes home to me!) and leave out of the apartment by noon tomorrow. Problem is, Wei doesn’t really know this yet, she doesn’t know I quit. So I have to face her (which I wanted to do in person) and then we must find a place. Still, I told her on the phone I’d handle it, that I’d work out everything and clean up the mess. Well guess what, I did. I also treated Li out for dinner for spending his day off with me to help me out.  He’s been so great. Thank you Li.

Well it’s late now, and internet will be cut off tomorrow I suppose. Tonight I pack and toss stuff, clean and scrub.

Hubei University
I must be awake for 6am so I’ll take my leave after I add some pictures. Mom and Dad I miss you, but I’d rather you be here to see this than me to be at home. As a consolation prize for not experiencing this yourself, here’s some pictures of the place I will study at.

RedCat Ate:
(to be updated)

RedCat Firsts:
Taking a taxi on my own
Completed 1 side of a rubix cube
Understood part of a conversation in Chinese
Saw Hubei University for the first time
bound4home says:
Hi Jamie

Check out the info on Wuhan Hostels.. at the bottom of your travbuddy site on the left.
Posted on: May 23, 2009
witchey says:
Well done for taking on the world, my dear. Things were a little scary when I left Croatia, but the survival instinct keeps us going in every situation.
Good luck and have an amazing time in the process! :o)
Posted on: May 20, 2009