Chiang Mai - Day 1

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

After long period of time, I finally got 3 days holiday during NYE. After meeting other travbuddies, I left the next day to chiang mai. This time I took the train, it was too comfortable, dinner and breakfast are served there ,good food but little expensive. The bad part was that, it was too slow, it reached at 10.30 in the morning, 14 hours of travel, better carry your ipod and a book. One strange thing was upper berth cost around 800 and lower 700. :)

I had booked a room in Eagle House. It cost 180 THB per night. The room was very small and little crappy, so I requested a better room. Air conditioned room was available with 100 THB extra. It was a decent one. I happily accepted it. First day , I had planned for Doi Suthep. I was told to go to a stop near thapa gate.
Unfortunate nobody wanted to go to doi suthep from there. So took a red taxi till chiang mai university,costed around 20 THB, so cheap , isn't it ? It took 2 hours to reach the university, heavy traffic. From there another red taxi to the top, costed 40 THB. BhuBhing palace was closed , so doi suthep was the only option.

It seems Doi suthep was considered to be sacred place for thai's. Took some pictures, no guide to explain, just shoot, shoot and go. Returned back to the stand within an hour. Luckily one taxi was going up the hill to doi pui. Doi pui is a tribal village. Shopping can be done. I took some snaps wearing those tribal clothes, little embarrassed, as I was the only guy wearing that. Doi pui has a very good view,nice sunset. Now its time for me to return back. Lots of taxi were waiting to return to chiang mai university. But from there, there was none who goes to moon meaung. Finally got one and returned back to the room.

I had given the key to the front desk. The time I reached, everybody were sleeping. I knocked, kicked,shouted ... finally one guy woke up and I had hard time explaining to him that, I need my room key. Lesson learned : never give the key to the front desk.