Looong Day

Coron Travel Blog

Early day today (and no hangover, wooot!). Got lots of stuff to do. We got out of town at 8AM, and our first stop was Siete Pecados (P100 per head), a group of 7 rocky outcrops. But we didn't go there for the rocks, but for the snorkeling! Yes, there were so many fishes that we could have snorkeled the whole day and won't even notice. Fortunately, the whole thing was captured on camera, but there were bigger and faster fishes that weren't documented. Funny, but I didn't see a single clown fish. Where the eff is Nemo?!?

Sadly, we had to say goodbye to the fishes (sob). Next stop was Lake Kayangan (P200 per head), which has been voted the cleanest lake in the Philippines for 7 consecutive years. Now that's a mouthful. Unlike the Twin Lagoons, Kayangan can be accessed by ascending hundreds of steps before descending to the lake itself.
Well, maybe not a hundred, but still quite tiring. In between, there's a spot that you need to take a picture of, as proof that you've been to Coron. It's kinda mandatory. However, me being camera-shy, I let the girls have it. Afterward, down to the lake!

Lake Kayangan is beautiful beyond words. I will let the photos "speak" for the lake at this point. The best part was that we had it all to ourselves. No other tourists around for hours wooohooo! Perfect relaxation, part two. I used my new-found "swimming skills" to no end. So liberating. We couldn't help feeling bummed when the tourists started arriving. I mean, couldn't they choose another day? Damn tourists! They should thank their lucky stars that we had to leave because we were so hungry; otherwise, they would have heard from me.
On our way (and down), there were more clans (I'm serious here) of tourists pouring in toward the lake. Bastards.

After a lunch of grilled fish (and lots of rice), we left for another beach where we could relax, but for free. Our boatmen suggested Calacuchi Beach, but when we got there, we saw the reason why it's free, and the reason was garbage. You name it, the beach has it. Even sanitary napkins. Yes, effin seriously. They told us that it was unkept because the Tagbanua's (the indigenous tribe who now owns most of the land and sea of Calamian) don't maintain it, since it's for free. Well, if that's the reason, then they might as well as for a fee to stop the people from ruining the place. Bastards.

It was still pretty early (we agreed to island-hop until 2PM), so we decided to do more snorkeling, but still for free.
Seeing a pattern here? Yes, we were running out of money. So, our kind and very understanding boatman took us to some semi-shallow spot in the middle of the sea, and we had our fill of snorkeling once more. The water was deeper there than in Siete Pecados, so it means more colorful, strange, interesting, and sometimes scary fishes. Then, we saw very dark storm clouds gathering, so we called it a day.

Back in town, and after a quick shower, we headed to what we call the most grueling part of our trip - climbing the 720 steps to the top of Mount Tapyas. The genius townspeople of Coron built a stairway leading to a huge viewing deck at the top, with two small gazebos branching out for more spectacular view of Coron and the surrounding islands at different angles.
Yes, the ascent was exhausting, but the view was worth it. We stayed until sunset (which was even better than the previous one), then we went to Mt. Tapyas Hotel for dinner (recommended by Patrik). The service was good, and the food even better. All in all, we had a good experience (plus we were so hungry so we weren't in any mood to complain).

After dinner, we headed back to our guesthouse, tired but content. We wanted to go to some hot spring, but no, we couldn't be bothered. So, our last night in Coron was spent with the sandman. Bonne nuite!

Coron