Beer in Belfast

Belfast Travel Blog

Me goodness me Guinness!
A bloke phoned me up and asked me: 'Hey how about a beer?'
And I said: 'Sure.'
'And how about a beer in Dublin?'
And I said: 'Sure.'
And so we went to Belfast. The three of us. I know it doesn't make sense. Hang on.

There was three of us because we phoned a third guy, and it was Belfast because we didn't want to miss great Northern Ireland!

And it was a cheaper flight.

We had the most ridiculous flight schedule, so I woke up at stupid o'clock, just to find out that our flight to Belfast has been delayed for 2 hours! A shame, because our itinerary was tight. Only 5 days for the whole bloody island! The delay would chop away a precious half a day in Belfast.

We got there, through the rain, and dropped our stuff at the hostel.
I have another picture like this when the sun shines. It's enchanting; you'll see.
It was raining all day long and when it didn't the sun was suddenly ridiculously hot! Basically thats the everyday weather in Ireland at the end of the summer. But it didn't bother us that much. We were on an adventure. So the rest of the day we walked through the city, seeing the sights and having a beer. Lots of beer really: the rain chased us to a pub every 15 minutes. The charming girls from the tourist center assured me it was worse than it used to be.

I have to apologize here, really. It will sound a bit like a guys-getting-drunk day, but I assure you, this is not how I normally travel. It must have been the composition of the group. It will become more interesting later on.

It feels a bit like London. Belfast. It has a Big Ben, only it is not that Big. And there is an impressive City Hall with a Belfast Eye next to it. We kept on drinking beer and in the evening I was just broken. My friends were out having a last one (and they told me afterwards they met a really crazy Irishman), but I fell on my bed, chatting a bit with a Canadian woman who shared our dorm.

So, Belfast. The city felt a bit... downcast. Serious and sober. It might have been the rain. It might have been the beers.
JohanKroone says:
Nasty bugger you! Like I always bring the beer factor into the equation! :P
Posted on: Jan 13, 2009
Jeroenadmiraal says:
My god youre right! The beer must still have been in my veins!
Posted on: Jan 13, 2009
Me goodness me Guinness!
I have another picture like this w…
I have another picture like this …
View from City Hall.