San Agustin Church and the Manila Cathedral

Manila Travel Blog

I love going to San Agustin Church, as well as other old churches. There's something relaxing about them, and no, it's not just the quiet. It's the sense of history, the solemn silence, and the sacredness of the place. It might sound strange (or maybe intersting to some) that I am not a Catholic. I just enjoy it aesthetically. I bring my Humanities students to these churches and let them appreciate the graceful beauty of the place. I cannot think of a more perfect term than graceful. It has a certain charm, a certain grace that makes old churches so unique and tranquil.

Last month I sat inside the Manila Cathedral writing on my journal; looking around me, noticing this rather intrepid child roaming the place by himself, observing some invisible spot on one of the benches. He's wearing a small barong that's about a size too big for him, obviously uncomfortable in his clothes and with the thought of having to walk all by himself while people stared at him, waiting for the bride to enter. It's becoming quite therapeutic for me to sit inside these old churches; I feel relaxed and at ease, as if recharging my soul.

Manila