Memories of a lifetime

Koh Phi Phi Travel Blog

Spider Monkey crew
Having been to Thailand before, some 7yrs previous, I kinda knew what to expect. But what I didnt realise is how much fun this second chapter would have install. Once again the trip was taken solo, the plan was to immerse myself in the culture as much as possible and leave many western things behind, but not completely.
I arrived into Phuket from Australia and it was here that I realised I really did not want to be. The feel of Phuket is not a great representaion of Thailand. The seedy bars, street workers and beach clad hotels was a little shameful. So I stayed for the night and left first thing the next morning for Phi Phi Island.
My last trip to Thailand was during the monsoon season, so Phi Phi was out of reach with the weather conditions, so Im glad that when I did finally make it, the weather was perfect.
Old habit

I didnt make any accomodation plans previous to my arriving there, so I made it on foot (the only mode of transport on the island) around to see what was on offer. Being close to Xmas, the island was quite busy, but you will find the tourists that visit and stay on the island are much different from those you'll find in Phuket and Koh Samui.

Most of my time spent on the island was consumed with rock climbing and endless party for over a month. When I finally left the island 5wks later, I couldn't stop shaking...I think I may have over done it just a wee bit.. no regrets though : ) The bars are great, fantastic personal feel to them, fire shows are non stop accross several bars, the Muay Thai fighting arena has some great nights and even lets the tourists get involved and hop in the ring once the alcohol has set in and everyone is feeling a little bigger about themselves.

It doesn't take long to meet a lot of friends and locals as well. The only bad part of the trip is that eventually you have to say goodbye, jump back on the boat and watch as the island slowly falls out of view and make the journey home. But at least I will have the memories and close friends that I made with me.... I suggest you GO and see for yourself.
Old habit
1 bucket is sometimes too much to …
1 bucket is sometimes too much to…
What a great bar