AsiaJapanKoyasan

Mt.Koya in Wakayama

Koyasan Travel Blog

Temple Saitou which was built in 886

Koyasan is like a Kyoto. These has many temple and shrine. I wanted to go to there because I never had been to there.
It was near from my city. I took 1hour 30min by train and cable car. If you go to there from Namba then you will need 1 hour 45min and 1,230yen.   Train climbed mountain then we could see snow.  We take train till Gokuraku-bashi then we take cable car till Koya station. I bought 1day bus ticket at Koya station. It was 800yen. There is small village but we can't walk from station to enter of village because this road was just for car. And we have to use bus to move between sightseeing points. Seems like they had big 2 area then at first we went to the Daimon area.

Koya mountain has many temple.

When we say "Koyasan" all include these temples. And this gate is general gate of Koyasan.  There was much snow.We started fight with snow ball immediately even while walking.:D  We walked this area till Okunoinguchi. From Okunoinguchi separated another one area.  We saw many cultural building of temple. I felt from building that there are Japanese mind sure. They keep quietness and courteousness.  And I really love in here.

Next, we went to Okunoin area. We waited bus around 20min. But I thought we could to go to there by foot if there is not snow day. We took a bus 10min less till Okunoin.  We had a caffee in Okunoin. We never felt hungry till now on. But we felt cold so much. I wanted to something hot drink!!  this coffee made me happy;)  We will go to Okunoin temple from now on.

Tou-to
Then we had to penetrate into 200,000 graves...lol   It was already 4pm. I was a bit scared.  But there were very interesting graves a lot. Very famous people also sleep under grave in here. I saw a grave has shape of rocket. Then I didn't feel scared anymore:)   Okunoin was quite a solid. Photo was forbidden in here. We saw Buddhist priest at here for the first time in Koyasan.

We saw bus at the bus stop it became start. But driver noticed us then he waited. Thank you!!
We took off next bus stop and we walked to Okunoinguchi. We could see many temple and nice street while walking. I think snow made it more nice place.
But I would come back here other season too. Then I would like to make something special experience. Example to stay at night in temple. To do hiking also seems like good in here.

I will recommend to everyone Koyasan.:)

sarahsan says:
Wow! Your photos are wonderful. I have been to Koya-San in November and will be going later in April, but I have never seen Snow there. It really looks fairy tale like! Beautiful!
Posted on: Apr 06, 2013
yasuyo says:
Thanks! This blog entry written a few years ago,I've visited last month again;)
I only have been to there in winter and love it! You should visit there in the future:) I want to have an experience to stay a night at temple there one day...maybe in summer season;)
Posted on: Mar 23, 2013
yasuyo says:
Sarawut,thank you for the smile and comment:)
Yes,it's high recommend place!
Hope you enjoy snow at there one day;)
Posted on: Oct 26, 2010
Temple Saitou which was built in 8…
Temple Saitou which was built in …
landscape from the train