6.7.09 Made it to Munich!

Munich Travel Blog

6.7.09    Made it to Munich!

Hooray!  We hadn’t really meant to go to Munich today.  We wandered down the Romantic Road,” Germany’s most popular tourist drive through beautiful countryside and small towns until we learned the German word for “Detour” after learned “road blocked” and having to turn around.  Then we stuck to the B12 road and enjoyed the sometimes rainy, sometimes gloriously sunny and clear skies, to Augsburg.  It is the third largest Bavarian city.

We figured in Augsburg, on the Romantic Road, we would try to find a nice parking Stell Platz, like last night’s in Rothenberg- that was a fantastic overnight spot!  For a euro we filled upon water, emptied the tanks for free.

No luck finding camping parking in Augsburg- The Augsburg roads were sometimes busy, torn up for construction, and overtaken by trams, knowing that we were touring it, enjoying it, and heading on out of town.  Parking was difficult even for Augsburg’s tiny cars, so I imagine low-cost parking lots for huge camper vans are asking a bit much.  But we were glad to have seen Augsburg, so we would not wonder what we were missing.  It is no Rothenburg, but instead an active, busy city.

Then we headed for the Church’s campground listing for Augsburg.  We went miles east so we could access the rare highway entrance and head west to the campground, only to find the highway onramp closed!  It was just not meant to be.

So we headed the 45 minutes to Munich via A8.  That’s right!  We were on the German Autobahn and we were primed for speed.  Sugar was raring to go!  We were all excited-but poof!  There went our dream- construction restricted us to 80 kph and we went slower than normal.  Baa-humbug.

Driving into Munich- praise to the GPS once again!- was fine this Sunday evening around 6pm.  Our only real stress involved the very threatening, black clouds in our direction.  It seemed impossible to beat the storm, but we managed to make every turn thanks to the GPS.  Then we registered at the campground and were pulling into our camping area when the rain started.  We ran out and hooked up electric with record speed- SAFE!  We’d made it just in time!

While it rained hard, the girls insisted on searching for bread at the campground store and ran around getting wet under umbrellas, but Charles and I relaxed in Sugar.  It has been pouring rain ever since and we are so grateful to be snug in Sugar!

We bought from the campground office a transportation pass (up to 5 people) for tomorrow (9E).  We found out all the details:  where to get on the bus, off, how to validate (on the bus, just once) and it is good for all day on all Munich transportation!  That is a good deal for 4 people!  The campground costs us just 20E per night, which is about a half-price deal close to a major city!  We’ll catch the bus to the metro in the morning and explore this classic Bavarian Paris!

Let me tell you a little about this morning- we walked back into lovely Rothenburg, armed with the info from the book I’d bought and read last night.  We all went up in the tower that Lia and Steve visited yesterday.  That was quite a thrill climbing the steep stairs that became as steep as a ladder at the top.  We took pictures from the outside balcony (they’d never let us out there in the U.S. for safety reasons) and were glad the rainstorm had just passed.  (2E adults, .50 for each kid).

We also enjoyed St. Jacob’s Church (3.50E for us all) and were glad we’d read about the three precious drops of Christ’s blood embedded in the medieval cross or we’d never have found the Holy Cross Alter behind the newer organ chimes in the back, upstairs.

The Christmas Store was so overwhelming with the many rooms of lights and ornaments that we didn’t pay for the additional museum rooms, but we did buy a little classic German nutcracker tree ornament, a stuffed bear for Lia, and a candle wick trimmer.  I don’t how I lived without one of those.  I think it is a candle wick cutter- I asked two store people and in spite of the “we speak great English” signs, I didn’t understand but a quarter of what they said.  But since “Danke” is the sum of my German, I’m not condemning nor complaining about their language skills.

We also enjoyed the Doll and Toy Museum (10E), which I thought was not overly exciting, but the kids seem to enjoy all the miniature dollhouses, trains, and Barbies.  Lia now wants a dollhouse, which doesn’t surprise me.  While I cannot convince Charles to buy a thing at the Porsche Museum, Lia wants everything she lays eyes upon!  You have to love her enthusiasm while wondering at the possessiveness.

We waited in eager anticipation in the town square for the great clock to strike noon.  You see, every hour between 11am and 3pm (or something like that), the town hall tower clock reenacts an ancient town legend.  Briefly, an invader told the town councilmen that the town would be saved if someone could drink in one draught, the wine from the 3.5 liter stein used for visiting dignitaries.  The mayor (whose neck was on the line) volunteered and succeeded!  He took 3 days to sleep it off all that wine, but effectively saved everyone from the now-impressed invaders.  Lovely 1400’s era soap opera stuff!

So when the town clock chimes, casement windows open on either side and there are 2 figures who move very slowly to the chimes, one looking threatening while the other appears to drink from a large stein.  It was hokey and fun and we went looking for bratwurst after that, returning to the same delicious store from yesterday.

Rothenburg is a delightful, picture-perfect town and we loved every minute of it!  We thought the townspeople were genuinely nice to their many tourists and we’d love to return to Rothenburg.

Tomorrow- Munich!