6.28.09 Loch Lomand Lollygagging

Loch Lomond Travel Blog

It is 11:15 pm and nearly as light as day outside!  Last night I awoke at 4 am and it was light.  Summer solstice has just passed and we are very near the land of the midnight sun over here.

Misty, foggy, rolling green hillsides, and wet roads- we drove just an hour and half northwest from Edinburgh to Loch Lomond, Scotlands first National Park.  A "loch" is a lake and this large loch is lovely.  Rolling hills around the edges are quintessential Scotland.

Scottish is English with their own language.  The accent can be strong and difficult to understand.  The people are universally delightful.

We're parked with a view of the Loch, but close enough to the Camping & Caravanning Club office to get internet.

Maxine in the office was very helpful and fun checking us in, in spite of my CCI card not apparently making me a member (but somehow I got a discount before).  It was complicated since I seem to have lost my CCI card in Luxumbourgh. Ugh- my first loss on the whole trip.  At least they don't take my passport in the modern Western Europe and UK countries - we just pay in advance and they don't need my CCI sunstitute.  But for 20 pounds, I apparently could have joined as a 3-month member.  Next time...

Laundry (2P each washers and dryers) was done this afternoon in prep for our packing.  Lia is packed already.  She would go home yesterday if she could.  I guess we all reach our travel limit.

We walked around the campground and before being chased back to Sugar by swarms of tiny mosquitos, we enjoyed talking with other campers.  One van camper had a pop top one side of it, so you could stand up for the whole side.  It was a previously-owned VW van with a new conversion (camper interior), which they loved.  The van is just under 2 meters high without the top up and there is no car park that they cannot enter.  I love it!  The stealth van indeed!

We've driven just over 7500 miles to date on our European adventures.

Maxine at the campground