6.13.09 Slovenia to Vienna

Vienna Travel Blog

6.13.09 Slovenia to Vienna

Goodbye beautiful Slovenia!  We left that little gem of a country and traversed north, back into lovely Austria.  Jazy and I spent most of the long drive today (225 miles) discussing our impressions of the various countries.  She reminded me of how delightful and beautiful Germany was and of all the nice people we met there, declared Switzerland to be the most lovely country, and was most keen (as am I) to return to France.

If we were allowed just one country in which to return for 3 months, we’d pick France.  The people were lovely, the history, the countryside, the sites, the extensive support for motorhomes, and the incredible food and wine would keep us very, very happy in France!

But we have loved aspects of every single country we’ve visited and fortunately, we haven’t had to choose.

Beautiful Slovenia hayrack
  Getting to experience the different cultures, sights and people without any passport checks, border stops, or money changing (except for Switzerland, where you really could use Euros, just for a bad exchange rate),  has been really terrific.

I am so excited for the Behans, for tomorrow they head to Houston.  Ned and I exchanged emails (free internet at Vienna campground, 2E for 20 minutes at the Ljubljana resort) and he was putting the “finishing touches” on Ciao Baby.  I’m not sure what is left, but I owe him forever for all his help and hard work while we’ve been gone.  I love that man!

So we arrived at the Vienna Campground (Church’s book, of course) and nice Bianca from Salzburg checked us in.  It is fine here and we parked in a row, but right in front of the reception so we can get internet.

We have gone into the campground little store 4 separate times to buy cans of “goulash,” a thick soup that tastes like a combo between vegetable beef soup and Texas chili!  We love it!  The fruit from Slovenia was the sweetest we’ve ever eaten and finally we decided that since it was now after dinner and we have to take the bus and metro into town, we’ll just wait until morning to visit Vienna.

Beautiful Slovenia

Then we’re headed the 45 miles to Bratislava!  Did you know that Slovakia is so close to Vienna, Austria?  We will enjoy Bratislava before heading down the highway to Budapest, Hungary (about 120 miles, if I remember).  Doesn’t that sound exotic?  We are so excited to have a chance to visit these countries, followed by Poland and the Czech Republic.  All five of these countries joined the EU at the same time in 2004.

I booked our ferries the other night, staying up until 2:30 am to get everything done!  What a relief though.  However, we motorhomers are used to being able to change plans on a whim, go where and when we want, so it is hard to book a schedule and commit to it.

Beautiful Slovenia
  Very hard!  But our ferry from Greece to Venice being fully booked for a week taught me a lesson and so it is done now.  Reserved.  Carved in stone.  No more fooling around, winging it.

Here’s the plan:  We’re going 6/24 from Rotterdam (near Amsterdam) to Hull, England, so that we start out in the northern part of England.  It saves a lot of driving and time (276E for 4 with the RV).

Then on 6/30 we go from Scotland to Larne, in Northern Ireland.  It was tricky with the weekend dates and July, both of which jump the price.  But that should give us time to enjoy the northern part of the Irish island before we return Sugar and get her all cleaned up at the Behans (they’ll still be traveling in the U.

S.).

Timing your daily focus when RVing Europe:  if you want to see just the sights, get up early.  You’ll be the only one in Europe out on the road and at the sights when they open.  Now if you want to meet the locals, go hang out at the friendly “living room” of locals which would be their outdoor cafes and bars (which are nicer places than what you’d have in the U.S. at a “bar” so don’t have a bad connotation about “bar”).  And so if you’re hanging out with the locals, having fun, then you’ll be staying up later and getting up around 8:30-9am, as they seem to generally do.

When Ned and I come back (Lord willing!), we’ll enjoy more of the local scene.  It is a bit different with a single woman with kids- we just don’t get the interactions while traveling that are conducive to the other traveling motorhomers, if you know what I mean.  I certainly understand that, but would really like to interact more frequently with locals.  I plan to learn more of the languages too- that would really help get conversations started.

Beautiful Slovenia
Border crossing Slovenia into Aust…
Border crossing Slovenia into Aus…
Porsche in Slovenia
Porsche in Slovenia
Vienna
Vienna gas prices per liter (x3.8 …
Vienna gas prices per liter (x3.8…
photo by: EmyG