6.11.09 Slophistocated Slovenia

Bled Travel Blog

6.11.09    Slophistocated Slovenia

The Salzburg Salt Mine was great fun this morning!  It was just 12km on the south side of town, we arrived in drizzling rain, but it didn’t matter underground. Our guide kindly translated his talk into English for us and Italian for another family.

The salt mine was really cool!  We got to slide down 2 huge slides made of wooden bars.  You had to go down 2-3 people at a time, hold your feet up, and slide down a 60’ long slide.  It was great fun- pretty fast, but not scary at all.

A rickety train we rode on tracks through tight tunnels were fun.  Our white ompa-loopa outfits were hilarious.  We all were given a salt rock on the way out.  The salt mines have been mined since 500AD, making the Salzburg prince-dude very rich.  But he ended up dying after 5 years in prison (a little spiff with Bavaria) The movies were very entertaining along the route.  We really enjoyed the tour.

Then we drove several hours down excellent highways through the lovely Alps.  Again, the roads wereessentially level the entire way!  Wonderful!

At the Slovenia border, the security guy with a red “Halt” signs (about 5” in diameter) saw our Irish tags and just waved us through.

Beautiful Lake Bled

Then we hit the Slovenia toll booth where we had to pay 35E for a 6-month vignette.  Yikes!  That is a stiff toll for 2-3 days on the Slovenian motorways.  The nice campground owner this morning suggested I go through Taruis, Italy, via Villach, Austria to reach Lake Bled without going on any motorways- thus we'd not need the motorways Vignette.

However, give we’re going to Ljubljana (pronounced "Loo blee on a" I believe), and a camping friend in Venice said that a Slovenian (non-highway) road tore up the side of his 28’ new RV thanks to the too-tight hairpin turns (I saw the scars), and so I decided the wide, nice motorways were worth the toll.

Beautiful Lake Bled- really! I took this on our walk back from dinner!

Slovenia became part of the EU in 2004 and have adopted the Euro.  A local told me the country name is pronounced “slow VEEN ya” and the language is “slow VEEN yen.”

We’re thrilled now to be at Lake Bled, a gorgeous glacial blue lake ringed by mountains.  There's a picturesque and cute town of Bled.  It is the number one tourist destination in this country.  Jazy told me to remember that the 40E campground is located in a place that is like Whistler, B.C. and to just to get over the price.

We walked the path along the lake the 3km to dinner in the town of Bled.  It was a gorgeous walk with lovely trees, the castle high above us, and the turquoise lake.  Our campground guy had given us the location of a good restaurant with local food for good prices, so we headed there.  It was great- we asked the waiter for advice, which was terrific.

Sugar in Camping Bled
  He suggested the meals all listed on the one page that did not have 4 language translations.  They were so much less expensive that I'd thought they were appetizers!  But I guess they were the real local specialties for the locals.  We also learned to say "Thank you", which is like "Voila!" with a throaty "h" sound at the beginning like "Ha-la".  Oh we are good!

Next to us at dinner was a Texas A&M student, on exchange in Vienna and out with some friends on a side trip to Slovenia.  They were excited about going caving and rafting tomorrow.  Our waiter had lived 16 years in Toronto, so he knew perfect English, of course.

In our short time, we've found Slovenia to be incredibly beautiful and quite clean and classy.  I have free internet from Sugar!  Life is good.  We love Slovenia so far!

Great article on International learning:  http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2009-06-08-college-book_N.htm  (thank, Anne!)

Beautiful Lake Bled
Beautiful Lake Bled- really!  I to…
Beautiful Lake Bled- really! I t…
Beautiful Lake Bled restaurant
Beautiful Lake Bled restaurant
salt mine slide
salt mine slide
Beautiful Lake Bled castle
Beautiful Lake Bled castle
Beautiful Lake Bled cathedral and …
Beautiful Lake Bled cathedral and…
Slovenias flag in middle