5.29.09 Vivacious Venice

Venice Travel Blog

5.29.09    Vivacious Venice

Delightful day in gorgeous Venice!  We took the bus in without major issue (shocking!), and had a perfect day of sunshine, beautiful clear skies.  Jazy was our tour guide, having done all the research.  After buying a good map, we plotted out the 5 major sites and walked them all. Then we took the Water Bus along the Grand Canal and then caught 2 road buses back to the campground, again without major incident.  Wow!

Let’s see, we did the Accademia museum, San Marco Square, the gorgeous Basilica, the government buildings, another church, the pizza, the pastries, the Murano glass (Murano is an island just north of Venice a mile or less).  We had cappacino on a square with a glass of white wine.  It was a delightful day!

Venice is really beautiful!  The architecture is stunning with every building having exquisite marble arches or peaks.  I have heard some disparaging comments about Venice looking a bit run down, but I did not have that sense at all.  I thought it was really pretty.  Not having cars driving through the streets makes it very peaceful, in spite of the many tourists (many Americans).  But I wouldn’t say the streets were mobbed, just busy.  It’s definitely a place I’d like to spend time with Ned, enjoying the cafes and street scene.

But I think we’re headed on now.  We’ve enjoyed the unique nature of this lovely city, but now Florence awaits.

Venice