Rosslare Travel Blog

4.2.09 Killarney to Rosslare (to Wales)

Tonight we leave Ireland, heading to Wales.  We’ve loved Ireland- the beautiful green fields, helpful and genuine people, the dramatic coast, and the slender twisty roads.  The towns are amazingly quaint and other than the modern outskirts of sizable cities, they all retain their medieval structure- love that!  We’ll be happy to return in a few months.

We actually finally got up early this morning (8 am) and headed out.  Our propane canister #2 emptied in the night, so I confidently went outside to hook up the canister we bought in Kilkenny.  Unfortunately, I had not noticed upon purchase that there was a “safety plug” where I was to hook in and no handle to turn on the propane!  So we stopped at the nice gas station close to the campground and a nice delivery man there looked at it for me- he told me that if I removed that plug, I’d end up in Dublin (quite a long way to be blown) and gave excellent directions to O’Shea Hardware.  We arrived only to learn that it was a O’Shea Fruit and Vegetables.

That nice man gave us directions to an O’Shea filling station in town, but we decided to look around the industrial area before we left and sure enough!  There was O’Shea’s Hardware.  Whoo-hooo!

A nice man there looked at the propane and after we confirmed that they could indeed re-sell the useless propane that I had, he did a direct change-out of the bad one and we bought a canister of the other.  So we got 2 correct ones for 29 E.

If you don’t have a propane canister to exchange, you have a terrible time trying to get another canister.  It’s like buying bottled beer in Mexico!  No bottles, no take off site.  Considering I paid 33 E for that useless propane, I was thrilled.  And now I know to pay attention to the connection as well.  He had them loaded in Sugar’s compartment and hooked up on canister by the time I returned with my receipt.  Love all these kind helpers!

Our point in getting up early was to drive early into Killarney and find parking- we didn’t want to be limited by the bus timing.  Surely there is a carpark without overhead bars!  We drove to the Outlet Center, which is also the Bus Station and the Rail Station.  There was a bar for the car park, but about 8 spaces that said “Bus Only” that were outside the gated bus parking area.  So we paid our 2 E for 3 hours at the Park & Pay kiosk in the parking lot, taped it on our window and jaunted out on an explore.  Success!

Impressions of Killarney- yet another delightful Irish city/town.  The buildings are beautiful, the sidewalks perfect for strolling, all the pharmacies, pubs, internet cafés, pastry shops, cafes, bookstores, hardware stores, etc that your heart could desire.

I saw a gorgeous original blue pottery dish in a window and went in to buy it.  Upon inquiring of the origin, I was told that it was made by a potter in the Kilkenny Castle Design Center!  We had gone in one of the 2 buildings of that Design Center- must not have been the one where he was working.  Well, I’m glad I got a special piece, even if the memory is now both of Kilkenny and Killarney!  We stopped by a small Farmers Market on the way back to the RV.  Yes, Mom, we got some fruits and veggies!  I told them you’d emailed to tell us that.  J  Again, the prices are surprising and we had to negotiate:  no on the 4E grapes, okay on the 5E pint of strawberries as a special treat.  But the kids are learning to be careful with their spending requests.  It is still a dictatorship around here until I can figure out a system to insure their reasonable decisions.

After popping back in the RV for our 12:30 pm parking limit, we had lunch and Jazy and I looked at the Ireland map and pondered.  Charles and Lia were on the last chapter of Book 5, Harry Potter, and didn’t want to help.  So Jazy and I thought:  France or England.  Just 3.5 weeks until Paris.  Cork is nearby (1 hour?) for France.  Rosslare (4 hours) is a gateway to the UK.  We feel like we’re loving Ireland, but the scenes are redundant and we’ll be back.  Time to move on.

English speaking and 3 weeks in England before tourists wins out.  We’ve been reading up on Scotland and are excited anyway.  Our French has not improved one bit via non-osmosis so far on this trip.  So off we head through the lovely Irish countryside on a sunny day, with good roads, with our strong and steady Sugar.

Four hours later and we’ve traversed Killarney to Rosslare.  Signage to the ferry port matched the GPS and it was a quiet port when we arrived.  Jazy and I went in and talked to the guy at the first desk who asked us where we wanted to go.  England?” we said.  Wales?” he asked, since that is apparently the only UK place this port connects to.  “Good for us!” we said and he sent us next to the Irish Ferries and Stena Lines.  Irish Ferries was 50 E cheaper at 205 E.  Apparently it cost us 15 E more to book in person than online, but since we know so little and have even less internet access, we are happy to pay the fee.

We drove up to the grocery store a half mile away and found a double parking spot.  Then we, and other families, raided their prepared foods bar for dinner:  noodles and chicken, warm shepherd’s pie, mashed potatoes, pasta salad, etc.  Delicious and an affordable eating out trick.

We also used a Global Call phone card that we bought in Killarney today.  For 10 E, it allows 230 minutes of talk time to the U.S. versus our last 10E pin number that allowed only 30 measly minutes.  Big difference!

I offered the kids 10 E if someone could find my camera battery charger.  All three batteries are now dead.  Lia found the charger in under a minute near her clothes bin causing rousing accusations of a plot.  She maintains her innocence and pocketed the cash which she now cannot use until France (thanks to the UK using Sterling).

Hang on, we have to run up on board and see us sail away.

Well that was beautiful with a fading sunset and a half moon lighting the water!  We wistfully waved goodbye to Ireland and sure hope they let us back in over the next few months.

We’ll arrive in Wales at 12:30 am and they say there are places for us to overnight at the dock, but the ship is making me sleepy, rocking gently.  I’m here with the snorers in the lounge, so I’m going to pop in my earplugs and join them for a few hours while the kids play at the kids’ area (which is really loud).

Good night!

azsalsa says:
Killarney is a beautiful spot indeed. My husband and I rode horses through Dunloe Gap and then were "ferried" back toward town in a small outboard motorboat that held 8 pax! I was saddle sore for days! So much to see and not enough time!
Posted on: Apr 23, 2009

4.2.09 Killarney to Rosslare (to Wales)

Hang on, we have to run up on board and see us sail away.

Good night!