3.27.09 Kilkenny

Kilkenny Travel Blog

3.27.09 Kilkenny

We bid Trevor farewell at Camac Valley campground this morning (very nice manager and campground) and tootled down the road.  We passed Orla and Kieran’s exit and waved their direction as we headed south for Kilkenny.  The ride was very nice with easy motorways (highways) and smaller expedient roads.

We stopped for diesel for Sugar at a gas station and Jazy and I managed to fill her up (even though she still has ¾ tank) to insure that we knew how.  A virtual field trip around every corner!  The gas station had a full deli service counter and we tried a few local dishes (with recommendations from the server) to enjoy in the campervan.

Can you hear our Irish accents in my typing?

Charles is particularly fond of the baguettes here and we can bribe him to do most anything with one.  The Lily O’Brien chocolates that Orla gave us work for Jazy and me and we sadly finished them off tonight.  We are going in search of a tour of that place when we return Sugar in July.  Those are the BEST chocolates I’ve ever tasted.

We found Dan at Tree Grove Camping in Kilkenny when we called at the house.  There is a lovely horse stable beside the main house and the camping sites are up a hill.  We were the only ones here since we are about two months ahead of the other tourists for the season.  In fact, there are many campgrounds in Ireland which do not open until April 1, Easter, or even May 1st.  Given it is freezing cold to these Texans, I understand, but we are getting more vigorous.

It was again 25 E for us with electric hookup and water, although we always pull from our water tank that we fill.  I think we’ll just need to adjust to the prices and carry on- they are what they are and our options are limited.

We biked into Kilkenny.  Again, that sounds simple doesn’t it?  Let me entertain you with a list I’m creating of “Dumb Questions to Ask Mom Before Going Anywhere”:

1. Should I go to the bathroom again even though I just went?
  2. Should I wear fingerless gloves
  3. Since it’s raining, should I wear a rain jacket
  4. What should I take?

And this is just a bonus one:

1. Which way do I turn the propane to get it to come on?
  2. I never noticed how different I look in the mirror (that statement was just quoted)

Anyway, after loading up for the 1 mile ride, waiting for the rain to pass, putting the bike chain on Lia’s bike (twice), waiting again for the rain to pass, we biked into Kilkenny.

Dan had given us directions to the castle, so after skirting on foot the round-about (not easy with no pedestrian crossings), we biked on the sidewalks to the castle grounds.

Wow!  What a stunning castle from the 13th Century!  We saw a short movie on the Kilkenny Castle and then paid 13.50 E total to go on a self-guided tour with a nice laminated handout and tour guides in most rooms.  The tour guides provided fascinating information and seemed pleased to get the chance to share- so we made good use of their services.  There were maybe a dozen other people touring the castle at the time, which was nice.

Afterward, we left our bikes at the rack and walked the short way into Kilkenny town which was as beautiful as we’d read.

Stunning!  Considered the most beautiful town in all of Ireland by some.  We tromped along the main street- the sidewalks are very skinny and it is a challenge when passing just one person coming the other direction.  The traffic zips by disconcertingly just a few feet away.  But the architecture is so pretty and the buildings old and painted decorative colors, with the arched bridge over the river that we didn’t mind a bit.  We popped into various stores, finding Irish treasures and meeting fun and kindly shopowners.

We had to hurry back to our bikes at the castle as the 5:30 pm gate closing was approaching. But we did manage to get some small potpies (Steak & Guinness/ Chicken & Leeks) as well as a baguette for cultural reasons, of course.  The nice shopowner offered to heat them for us and packed them up in tuperware containers with plasticware for a picnic.

azsalsa says:
ah....yum, steak and Guinness potpies....nothing like that in the U.S.
Posted on: Apr 23, 2009
N_loves_T says:
Love the "Dumb questions!" And sounds like I'll have to add Kilkenny to the list of places to visit together.

Love to all!
Posted on: Apr 03, 2009
TerryKaren says:
Love your posts and yes you are developing a lovely Irish accent. Is Charles doing a search for the best baguette in Europe like he did pizza in the US and Canada?
Posted on: Mar 29, 2009