North to History!

Jamestown Travel Blog

Terrific day visiting with family and arriving in Williamsburg!

In the morning, we were lucky to get pancakes at all since  it was 9am by the time we stumbled out of the RV - I think Donna, Charles and boys were ready for lunch by then!  Ha!

A terrific park nearby meant a long woodsy walk to the river- where one kid promptly fell in while crossing the rocks.  Since it was sunny but freezing cold, he was bundled in a fleece jacket with his legs through the sleeves -  he looked like a lumberjack and got him back to the van.

We were sad to bid our goodbyes, but Donna sent us off with her famous cookies and strawberry jam which helped a lot.

We dillidalied at Flying J on the way- they have all the services an RV could need:  propane, gas, dump station, fresh water.  Terrific!

Dinner with brother-in-law, Ryan, and Sister-in-law, Dana, and adorable Sophie in Raleigh:  delicious Mexican dinner, my espanol was atrocious, but it was great fun to use it again and to see them.

At 7pm we headed north on the interstate, marveling in our wonderful freedom to drive on U.S. roads at night (which we couldn't do south of the border).

We arrived at Chickahominy Park around 10pm and were likely the only campers in the huge park.  A call ahead had confirmed that we could park afterhours with no gate blocking our entry.  Big thanks to my Lazy Daze friend, Gary Allen, for advising me on that campground, right in the heart of the "historic triangle" of Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown!  While it was $30 a night, it had electric for our electric blankets and that is soooo nice.  Gary also told us his favorite sites on the bay (157 and 158) and we went right there.

Everything is on schedule and we're excited to learn more history from this area!

Jamestown