NC Family time

McLeansville Travel Blog

If a visit to a nursing home doesn't make you grateful for the blessings in your life of relative youth and health, then I don't know what will.  My grandfather seems well, but didn't remember me.  He and his roommate appeared pleased to get our company (particularly with my parents out of town).

His roommate mentioned that his wife passed away 4 months ago and we felt so bad as he started weeping, against his efforts to hold it in.  Pop-Pop gazed sadly at Grandma's pictures- she's been gone for a year now, after their 60 years together. Another resident tried to convince us to hold the exit door open for her after it was obvious that her bracelet locked the doors so she could not wander the parking lot alone.

It was all a bit sad, even though the facility seemed cheerful enough.  But we were happy to have visited.  At age 96, we're not sure how much time dear Pop-Pop has left (nor for any of us, but 96...)

Anyway, two hours later we were happily whomped out of our funk by my three adorable little nephews at my brother and sister-in-law's home.  Between 6 years to 18 months old, these three adorable dynamos keep us laughing.  We're having a terrific time, but I'm grateful to be in the RV since they arise before the sun!  I'd better get my sleep though while I can, they might come a-knockin'! ...zzz...

TerryKaren says:
Thanks for the posts. Karen was getting concerned that I was having withdrawal issues. Sounds like a great trip thanks for sharing.
Posted on: Feb 01, 2009