Enjoying Vung Tau and Saigon Meet Up on Christmas!

Vung Tau Travel Blog

The view of the pier

Today is Christmas. The fact that I’m so far away from my family made me a bit sad. I gave my family a call to ease my loneliness. I really had no clue what to do today but was thinking of going to Vung Tau to get away from the hustle and bustle of Saigon. I checked out my Vietnam travel book and found out it was quite easy, affordable and reasonable traveling time for a day trip. I had to be back by 6:30 PM because I had planned to go to the Saigon Christmas Meet Up!

I took a taxi to the pier which cost me $2.

00 and bought the boat round trip ticket for $16.00. In just a short while I was seated comfortably on the boat and excited about my adventure!  I thought to have a short nap during the trip, but the talkative British guy next to me kept me wide awake with his stories and jokes. Time flew and we were already approaching the island so I went out on the deck to take some pictures.

I found out myself caught in the excitement of being on an island again. The clear, blue-green ocean water was beautiful, the salty breeze smelled good, the sunlight felt great on my skin, and the wonderful view of  a rock island, traditional boats and local people fishing entertained my eyes. I LIKE THIS PLACE!

I got off from the boat and really had no idea what to do on this island. SMART, aren’t I? I then took a taxi and decided to hit the beach. I was a bit surprised that the beach was mainly packed with local people.

The statue
  The foreigners I saw around were only Japanese and Koreans. I will be really lost in translation if anything bad happened! I picked a spot to put my stuff and sunbathe (huh, sunbathing?? As if I need one!). I was basically lazing around, swam a little bit and took more pictures. I have to tell you the truth that the beach is not the most beautiful beach I’ve ever been to. However, I felt very peaceful and serene since I was out from the honking, crowded traffic of Saigon.

I was about to leave the beach when the talkative British guy I met on the boat popped up in front of me. It turned out that he also did a one day trip alone! So we both decided to explore the island together. We had a quick lunch then started walking towards the pier which was approximately 8 K away from where we were! Huuhh..talking about exercise, much! On the way there, we stopped by an interesting statue of Jesus Christ. It is positioned on the top of the hill so we had to climb up a hundred stairs to get there. It was EXHAUSTING! But it was worth it because the statue was beautiful and the view from there was breathtaking.

Cheers!
I was so happy to be there on Christmas day. I said a little prayer thanking God for everything before I left the place.

We then continued our walk. I really enjoyed strolling on this island. People seemed friendly, happy and laid back. Not too mention the wonderful view of the surroundings. The buildings, the temples and the ocean were great! After several long hours of walking, we finally arrived at the pier and it was the right time to board the boat for our return. I decided to sit outside so I could enjoy the scenery and take more pictures. It took longer to go back to Saigon because we arrived at 6:30 PM in Saigon and it was raining cats and dogs! OMG, I’m almost late for the meet up! I finally asked a poor guy on a motorbike taxi to take me back to the hostel under a torrential rain.

9 of us again!
He agreed, for 20,000 VND. I rushed to my room, took a quick shower and went downstairs since Chaucy was already waiting for me to go to the Meet Up together :)

Chaucy and I made our way to “Milwaukee”, the restaurant that was chosen to hold the Saigon Christmas Meet Up. When we got there, Nikie from Brunei was already sitting nicely waiting for us since 6:30 PM! Jeez, I think people from Brunei are waayyy ON TIME! In not too long, Trang and Jane came, followed by Najiah, Anshuman, Ksitijh and Anh.

The girls!
Nine of us got along really well! We were having too much fun as if no one else was around! Some people were giving us strange looks, but we didn’t really care. Haha. Nikie and Anshuman, who were the stars of the night, lighten up the Meet Up with their jokes.

From “Milwaukee” we headed to “BOUNCE” for a little drink and dance. The club was nice and it was not crowded so we almost had a monopoly on the dance floor.! Haha! Anshuman ordered champagne, beers and EVIAN for those people who don’t drink like Nikie and me. Thanks Anshuman! We had a blast drinking and dancing and the next thing we knew it was time to say good bye because it was already 1:00 AM. All of us crammed into a taxi and dropped Nikie off at her hotel and then we headed back to the backpacker area. Meeting these wonderful and friendly people was a perfect ending to my awesome trip to Vietnam.

moshixkon says:
didnt know that you had a company on ur trip to Vung Tau, Rini :D At first I thought it was Brian, the survivor, but apparently, it wasnt him, was it? :D

Glad to know [again] that you had good time in Vung Tau :D

And oh my, I wanna have one more Saigon meet up, hahaa!!!
Posted on: Jan 16, 2009
Chaucy and Trang
Chaucy and Trang
Anh and Anshuman
Anh and Anshuman
Naj, Anh, Asnhuman and me!
Naj, Anh, Asnhuman and me!
Pretty girls with Anshuman
Najiah and Trang
Nikie and Chaucy
Nikie and Chaucy
Nikie and.. Anhs friend?
Nikie and.. Anh's friend?
The pier