Cruising on The Mekong Delta

My Tho Travel Blog

Today is another tour day and the Mekong Delta is our destination. We left Saigon at 8:30 AM heading to My Tho city and arrived around 10:00 AM where we hopped on a small boat crossing the river to visit the coconut production chain.

We saw how the locals made coconut candy using some traditional tools. They showed us how they grind the coconut, cooked and wrapped it until it’s ready for sell. The part I really like the most when we got free candy samples! We could get as much as we want! YAY!

Then, we continued on the river to the Bee Farm.

Not much to see in this place other than a small bee farm. But we got to taste the HONEY TEA for free and it was UNBELIEVABLY good!

And this is my favorite activity of the day. We took a smaller boat which only fit 6 people. Two of them were local women rowing the boat. They gave us traditional Vietnamese hats to wear to keep us from the sun. Then the next 15 minutes we cruised a beautiful little canal in the cool and comfortable shade of coconut trees.  We could see closer how the locals lived and experienced the friendliness of the people. We couldn’t stop waving to the kids. They were gorgeous.

We finally stopped at a small village who’s name I don’t know. Hehe. The locals served us various fresh fruits like banana, dragon fruit, pineapple and papaya. While we indulged the fruits, we were entertained by couple of Vietnamese songs and traditional music. This was a great end to my day at the Mekong Delta.

rintjez says:
> simon: that's not my hat :P The women lent it to me :P

> Yanti: hihihi...iya mbak, yang dipelajaran geograpi itu :)

> chaucy: I didn't know you grew up there!! Aaw, you should have come with me that day!!

> sandy: I felt bad too but couldn't lie that I really enjoyed the boat trip ;)
Posted on: Jan 16, 2009
sandy_ryanto says:
yeah...i like the crusing small steel boat too, however, couldn't help much watching the aging women rowing it, though.
Posted on: Jan 15, 2009
moshixkon says:
glad that you had good time there my dear :) Mekong Delta is where my Mom comes from and it's part of my childhood too :D

Kekee, and you look so nice there
Posted on: Jan 15, 2009