Leuven Travel Blog

Many people know that the Smurfs are Belgian, created by Pierre Culliford in 1958. Fewer people, however, may realise just how Belgian the Smurfs are. In 1972, while Papa Smurf was busy, the Smurf village was divided into North and South due to a cultural/language divide. The division was based on the proper use of the word "smurf", with the Northern Smurfs using "smurf" as a verb (calling a bottle opener a "bottle smurfer") and the Southern Smurfs using "smurf" as a noun (calling it a "smurf opener"). The divide grew so heated, with arguments and protest marches, that the villagers ended up going to war, and it was only the respect both had for Papa Smurf that eventually reunited the village as one.
lamadude says:
And that's actually how the smurfs use it in all other albums and tv shows, they only time they use smurf as a noun is when they're talking about actual smurfs.

If you read Asterix in Belgium (a French comic) the local village is devided into 2 parts as well, with two chiefs who are constantly fighting.
In the end they join up with the rest of Gaul to defeat the Romans.
Adrian_Liston says:
I agree - "smurf" as a verb makes much more sense than "smurf" as a noun. "Can you smurf me some beer" v "Can you pass me some smurf".
lamadude says:
Ok I may be a biased because I'm a Northern Belgian, but I think "bottle smurfer" makes WAY more sense than "smurf opener" ;-)

Also who can play the role of Papa Smurf in Belgium? I don't think the king can.
photo by: Chokk