To Maastricht

Maastricht Travel Blog

I took Jeong and Lianne on a day trip to Maastricht, to experience one of the key delights of Belgium - being able to travel across Western Europe at the drop of a hat. Oddly, this experience of travel freedom was briefly challanged at Maastricht train station, where guards checked everyone's passports or European ID cards. I've never had a passport check in internal Schengen zone travel before, I wonder if this is a Maastricht thing, or just a one off?

We spent the day just wandering around, appreciating the beauty of the city. We walked across the bridge over the River Maas and through the winding streets leading to the Markt (where we found an interesting flame-throwing statue to Johannes Petrus Minckelers, the inventor of gas lighting), then down to the Vrijthof. There we climbed up the red tower of Sint Janskerk to look out over the city, and we visited the thousand year old Sint Servaasbasiliek. We wandered back along the old fortifications, now made into a charming park lining the old moat and city walls. We lost Jeong within the Helpoort (the oldest surviving town gate in the Netherlands, being built in 1229) but made it to the train station in time to meet Lydia in Brussels for chocolate shopping and a spectacular dinner.
Maastricht