Belgian banking

Leuven Travel Blog

We opened up our Belgian bank account today, and they are very security conscious about online banking. No simple password to open up your online banking page like in Australia or America, instead they give you a small portable card reader and when you log on to the bank website and put in your card details they give you a "challenge"(a series of random numbers) and you then have to insert your card into the card reader, enter the challenge, enter your pin number and you then get an "answer", which you can then use to answer the challenge on the website. I guess that stops anyone from using spyware to figure out your online log-in, because the challenge and answer is different each time, but I'm sure it will be a pain having to lug around the portable card reader with me.
Adrian_Liston says:
Well, I've heard that it can be difficult, but the University I work for must have some type of arrangement because they just sent an email and I had an account before I even arrived.
Posted on: Feb 15, 2009
azsalsa says:
Was it difficult to open a bank account there or did your company assist you? In England, it is difficult for a "foreigner" to open an account, even with a British husband! I've heard that it is also difficult to open an account in France, but I don't know personally.
Posted on: Feb 13, 2009