Caye Caulker

Caye Caulker Travel Blog

first steps on Caulker.

This was suppose to be on our way back from Guatemala, a visit in Belize. But when we were ready to leave Tulum to go to Palenque, we were informed that the busses were full for the next 2 days. Being so early into our trip I didn't want to wait around and waste 2 days waiting. Those days may come to haunt us later if we would be pressed for time. We change plans and decide to go opposite direction and travel into Belize. Not having much read about were we are heading next, I am scrambling to find out what would be a nice place to visit or see once we get there. Met some nice people on the bus that are going to Caye Caulker a island between Belize City and San Pedro island.

boating time ??
Upon arriving in Belize City, I was not very impressed and decided that the first boat out might be our best option. In a cramped boat with people mostly going to San Pedro island which I heard was also very pretty but much more into tourism we are hitting the calm waters with the sun in our faces. Ooh, It feels so good to travel, this is when I feel so alive. No worries or expectations. Hopefully discovering something unique. No matter what you encounter, it makes you always a richer person.

Arriving on Caye Caulker is un eventful. No greetings from people trying to sell you something, nor a local trying to steer you to a best deal in town hotel. No walking of the pier your feet touch the sand. Here there are only sand roads. Very few people and I actually have to stop a fellow traveler along the way for some advice on a hotel room.

tuck in that tummy
The Happy Lobster just opened 5 new rooms this week at the northern end of this tiny island. Very reasonable price and being so new, extremely clean. This is the place to call home for the next few days. We are getting the news that our location has the perfect sunset, another plus and it's included in the cost :)

There is a bar at the end of the island that is open all day but closes early in the evening. 2 more bars dominate the night life.One is a must have reggaue bar, especially when you are in the Caribbean. There are a few restaurants, even a couple right by the beach, with swings hanging by the bar and a nice size patio. No chairs in the sand. I learned the difference between a island and a caye is that on a caye you don't have sand that makes it a beach. Learned something new again. This is a place were you come to chill, enjoy the quite life.

what a alley
There are truly charming places here, a little bakery that does breakfast with just 2 tables in the courtyard. A small craft store were the owner is very happy to make my daughter 2 pieces of black corral necklaces. This truly is a little piece of heaven and all that are here feel the same. My daughter vowes to be back by the end of the year. as for me, this is a beautiful place and I am very fond of it, yet there are so many more places to see that if I ever get the change to do a second time around I've already promised so many people to come back that that time I have to put them first. Caye Caulker i will sell you to other travelers, cause you worth seeing and experiencing.

what a alley
lunch or dinner time yet??
lunch or dinner time yet??
only sand roads here
My buddy from Amsterdam
My buddy from Amsterdam
Lets speak dutch
Let's speak dutch
banana leaf hat, anyone??
banana leaf hat, anyone??
Amsterdam in Caye Coulker