Malaga - Almunecar

Almunecar Travel Blog

Fragiliana
Three hours of sleep are simply not enough for a normal human being, so in a zombie-like state we left the hotel at 4 AM and took the arranged shuttle bus to the airport to drop off the luggage. I had already checked in via the Internet the day before to win an extra hour of sleep. Good choice since I would have had hardly any rest otherwise. Mum was still seriously pissed, making her mumble something about 'those f*cking kids', quite a rarity for a woman I never hear swearing. ;-)

The flight, leaving close to half past 5 was uneventful and three hours later we picked up our luggage at Malaga airport. Next it was to the Avis desk to pick up the keys to the rental car and 9 AM found us cruising along the coastline highway eastwards.
Streets of Fragiliana
The Opel Zafira proved to be a comfy ride and dad took the first turn, almost resulting in a near-death experience when we were squeezed between a truck and a van.

Regardless of the rush hour there were no traffic jams and it was only 80 kilometers to our overnight stay, so we decided to grab some coffee along the way. I opted for Frigiliana, a beautiful white village that I visited a couple of years ago with Judith and her uncle, who lives closeby. Frigiliana is perched against a hill and a lovely example of how beautifulk southern Spain can be. If I'm not mistaking this village even won a prize for the cleanest white village in Spain ... Or the area, whatever. We took a stroll through the winding steep streets and after downing three cafe con leche and one café solo I took the steering wheel and drove us to Almunecar in another 30 minutes, enjoying one of the CDs I brought (Big Blue Ball) on the car stereo.
Streets of Fragiliana

The Ducth receptionist at the Alcazar Hotel informed us that our rooms were not ready yet. No reason to complain since the weather was excellent foir a beer on the terrace by the pool.

We spent the rest of the afternoon hanging around the pool drinking cervezas and enjoying the sunshine. The temperature was very comfortable and only during moments when it was a bit cloudy did it get a bit chilly.
Of course, with such a large pool we just had to try it out. My brother Mark was relatively quick to jump in, but having sampled the water with my toes I was a lot more hesitant. I finally gathered enough courage to dive in. Freakin' hell ! Unlike the outside temperature it turned out to be too cold for any non-Eskimo (not counting my tough-guy brother). I spent quite a while defrosting in the sun once I worked my way out of the freezing water.
Mark making new friends

At the beginning of the evening we decided to look for a restaurant and walked downhill to Marina del Mediterraneo Este, where we'd seen a small beach and some rocky outcrops. Unfortunately this turned out to be a bit of a dead end so after enjoying the salty air of the Mediterranean sea for a while we went back the steep way uphill to the hotel. Here we took the car and drove down to Almunecar (by now we'd noticed that our hotel was actually located in a nearby village called La Herradura, and the restaurants were not within walking distance). The last thing I'd eaten was a sandwich on the plane so I was starving by now and therefore we walked in the first restaurant we saw, El Chaleco. Turns out that it was managed by a Flemish lady, which made communication all the more easy. Food was nice and prices were very reasonable (three course dinner for 20 Euro) but being knackered after a long day we did not linger for coffee and a last digestive but headed back to the hotel. At half past 10 we were in bed to catch up some of the sleep we'd lost the previous night.
hannah-lou says:
This looks amazing! I only saw Galicia!!
Posted on: Apr 24, 2009
Beer and gadgets !
Beer and gadgets !
Coastline near Almunecar
Enjoying the salty Mediterranean b…
Enjoying the salty Mediterranean …
Almunecar Hotels & Accommodations review
Great pool and breakfast buffet
We stayed in this hotel for one night on our trip from Malaga to Granada. This is actually a combination of hotel rooms and appartments. We stayed in … read entire review
Almunecar