Road Trippin

Pacific Coast Highway Travel Blog

I headed back down to SoCal a couple of days ago after yet another long jaunt in my parents' guest room. Lucky to still have a subletter, this has been the most nomadic period of my life. The lack of permanence has done me wonders as I continue to build my strength and traveling confidence with each new destiny. In order to take advantage of the fancy new camera I bought myself and to get some practice shooting my application video for the STA World Traveler Internship, I decided to take the road less traveled for this particular trip. Instead of take the 5-hour option (the 5 Freeway), or the 6.5 hour option (the 101 Freeway)... I decided to take the 14 hour option. I drove down the COAST of the state of CA on the 1 Freeway. It was magical. One of my first stops was the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I haven't been there since I was probably 8 years old, so I enjoyed seeing all the new exhibits I have been hearing about. I took some amazing pictures and video there- and definitely also pet a sting ray. The freedom to stop whenever I wanted was so satisfying. For instance, there was a stretch of land where there were grazing cows on the beaches somewhere in Central California. One of the cows happened to be very close to the fence that bordered the freeway. I slowly pulled to the shoulder and tip toed towards the Moo-Cow (as I called them in my younger years). I swear the cow started posing for me. There were also elephant seals. Elephant Seals! My favorite part of the journey was that it was a cloudy day. This meant that most of the drive included a delicate marine layer that just tickled the coast line and at various points allowed a choice fiew rays of sunshine sparkle through onto the water's surface. It was really just breathtaking. One of my last stops was at Pea Soup Andersen's in Buellton. I have been there before, but have never actually tried the pea soup. Feeling adventurous, I thought I'd give it a try. The green goop looked as unappetizing as I expected it would, but was not enough to deter me. And after confirming that there was no ham stock involved (it's a Vegan recipe at Andersen's!), I sampled. And it tasted like peas. In soup form. Which didn't taste anywhere near as bad as it sounded. 14 hours later I arrived at my apartment exhausted. All of the batteries in both my camera, backup camera, and video camera were also exhausted. But it was very amusing to take this journey solo. I blasted my music and and stopped when I wanted and took my time. And it's now off the list!
mothernatureobeyed says:
A terrific description! you really bring it to life... Looking forward to seeing some pictures! cheers ;D.
Posted on: Jan 10, 2009