Cozumel, Mexico and swimming with the dolphins.

Cozumel Travel Blog

Leaving the ship.

Today was a day that we were so excited about; the day we got to swim with the dolphins. Of course in true K&S fashion that excitement was also tempered with apprehension for 2 reasons. First, Kerry can't swim and I have not been a fan of my feet dangling in the water since I fell off a boat on the Monongahela River, cut my leg and got attacked by fish when I was a kid. That and the fact that growing up we would go to Virgina Beach every summer and my dad would take us to see whatever Jaws movie was out as a way to keep us from going into the ocean too far, thanks dad, LOL. Anyway, there was evidently a storm brewing because the waves were pretty choppy and we were one of the only swims that got to go. The other's were cancelled due the weather.

Once we got to the complex we were fitted with out snorkels, fins and life jackets and out we went to the water. The trainer explained the process of working with the dolphins and how intelligent they are and so willing to please. We had a young dolphin named Malachie. She was still in the process of being trained and would sometimes want to play and not pay attention and we would have to give her a "time out" in which we would have to turn our back to her and not pay attention to her. Evidently she didn't like this because she would make little dolphin noises to get us to turn around and look at her, she was too cute.  When we got into the water Kerry had to obviously leave her glasses on the deck which meant that she was couldn't see much of anything which would cause problems for her later on.
So we got to spend the next hour or so playing with Malachie she would give us kisses and shake fins and then we got to swim out a little bit and she would swim up to us and take us back to the side all the while we were to be smiling as the whole experience was being taped. We had strict instructions to be real still and not kick our feet because she was still a baby and gets scared if she inadvertently gets kicked. The first 3-4 people went no problem then a lady who evidenlty did not keep her feet still went and she kicked Malchie and then she didn't want to do it anymore. Poor Malachie she must have got nailed because she didn't want to do anything after that. The trainer finally got her calmed down enough for the rest of us to go and she did great.
Welcome to Cozumel, Mexico.
 Kerry finally got her turn to go and God love her she paddled and kicked out there even tho she couldn't swim and was all set to go when the no eyeglasses problem hit. We were suppossed to slap the water with our hands and when Malachie swam by we had to grab her fins and hang on, of course you have to be able to see the fins to grab them which Kerry could not. Malachie would come up to Kerry and Kerry would grab for her and just miss her by a split second, she did do it in the end but in the interim every time she tried to do it was caught on tape. Now Kerry is pretty quiet most of the time but like me she has a mouth on her so when we got our dolphin video we were hysterical by the footage. Every time she missed Malachie some colorful adjective would come out of her mouth and even though the  sound was blocked out man could you read Kerry's lips!! To this day it is one of our classic vacation moments.
Cuzumel.
 When it was my turn of course I was scared due to the dangling feet but it was so cool that once I was out there I didn't even care.  After we all got to do that we had a free swim with Malachie and she would swim around us and under us. I had to keep ducking my head underwater just to check it was her. I know that's stupid, you know it's a dolphin but man where there's a fin circling around you, I needed to be sure... thanks dad, lol. Anyway, I was never so happy happy to have invested in an underwater camera as I was that day.

Once we were done we looked around some of the shops and then the torrential downpours started so we holed up until our shuttle back to docks. The storm had passed by that time so we sat on the beach and drank some beer. After dinner that night we listened to Tom and Willie play then headed up to the nightclub for some drinking and dancing.

Andy99 says:
We met a dolphin named Shaun in Nassau--I love the way they kiss you and shake hands!
Posted on: Aug 15, 2007
Hot pic #1.
Hot pic #1.
Hot pic #2.
Hot pic #2.
Getting a ride back from Malachie.
Getting a ride back from Malachie.
Malachie underwater.