Stag and Doe in Canada

Toronto Travel Blog

Canadian rugby watching

Woke at 11ish and was picked up by Mel to go and watch some Canadian rugby.  Now I’m not quiet sure what level this rugby was relative to other competitions, but given that Mel had connections with someone in the Canadian rugby team, I gather they were supposed to be decent.  There was atrocious ball handling and neither side had anything close to a goal kicker.  Met Mel’s friend Tim Shannon who apparently could be representing Canada as a marathon runner at Olympics so keep an eye out for that name.

Grabbed dinner with Mel and Kristin at Swiss Chalet where they serve this awesome, tender, rottisirie chicken.  Then it was back to Kristin’s place where I played a bit of guitar with Ryan, I’ll have to try to remember to play ‘Mr Jones’ by Counting Crows and some Creedence Clearwater Revivial as it doesn’t seem to complicated.

Then some beers out on the pooldeck with Kevin.

Then I changed clothes for the Buck and Doe that night.  It’s kind of weird, it’s basically a party they have with both future husband and wife there, where people give them cash and presents to get them started in their marriage.  Being a traveller, and being a fairly casual event I got away with cargo shorts and sandals.

The vodka jellies were flowing thick and fast, and I helped out selling tickets for the 50-50 (half the money to the prize, half to the couple), and got involved in all the dancing.   Now who would of thought it but along the way I also bought some tickets in the 50-50 and low and behold I won the damn thing, to the cries from the microphone of ‘The damn Australian hasn’t won it has he?’ That gave me about $250 Canadian so I was shouting for anyone who wanted a drink, finished the night dancing away with Kristin and Mel.

Stumbled home to watch Ryan take on Mel & Lindsey in a whipped cream fight.  It was about a 2 a.m. finish, and it was around then I realised I had to be up for a 9:20 a.m.flight, which meant waking up at about 5:30 a.m.! DOH!

Toronto