Arrival in Toronto

Toronto Travel Blog

 › entry 5 of 23 › view all entries

So I grabbed my bags in Toronto (only a few masks to be seen for SARS) and headed out the doors to be greeted by Mel and Kristin, could not have timed it any better!  Jumped in the car and was driven straight to a Tim Horton’s coffee store to get a caffeine pick me up for the night ahead, and of course had a subway cookie to go with it.

Toronto was rainy on arrival but I’m assured it gets better, the chill in the air was very Canberra-esque.  Kristin drove us out to Mel’s place where the family was having a BBQ celebration for Mel’s brother’s birthday.  Welcomed in with some good-humoured laughs and a pawing from Magic (the black retriever dog).  Given a Moosehead beer and sat down to chat and watch game 3 of the Stanley cup finals (Ice hockey, Anaheim vs New Jersey)  It’s good to sit down and watch some hockey with people who are passionate about it. 

About 9:30, Pat had headed around (in the middle of a government lock-out, which is sort of the reverse of a teacher’s strike) and we drove out to Kristins place.  Such a friendly family, father (Kevin), brother (Ryan), mother (???) and brother’s girlfriend (Lindsey) all really great, though I was chastised for not bringing Tim-Tams.

So after the quick meet and greet it was out to Nashville (and I got to smell my very first skunk on the way) for some country bar action. Words can’t describe this, many stereotypical country guys in cowboy hats, about 75% attractive girls in cowboy hats. So there’s a dancefloor full of line-dancers under a big screen showing the hockey.  Made it out on the dance-floor to try this myself, it’s pretty intense when you don’t know the moves, you have to work quite hard just to stay out of people’s way, nothing an Aussie accent apology can’t fix though.  Did the ‘barnyard’ dance where you dance with pretty much every girl in the place in a big circle.  So 1 a.m. came around and it was time to grab some ‘street meat’ (hot dog vendor outside) and head to my campervan bed at Mel’s place.  So quick recap on how long I’d been awake, 10 a.m. wake up in Hawaii, jumped on flight to Vancouver at 9:30 p.m. (11.5 hours), 5 hour flight to Vancouver (16.5 hours) 2 hour transition then 4.5 hour flight to Toronto (23 hours) got in at 4 p.m., then kicked on until 1:30 a.m. or so giving an awake time of 32.5 hours, not a bad day!!!

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: yasuyo