AsiaChinaBeijing

I just lost 984 quid.......... disaster!

Beijing Travel Blog

DAY 1

Obviously after going to bed at 5am, i woke up with a stinking hangover. Stacey managed to leave me in bed until 1pm but then decided it was time for me to get up. Gutted.

We attempted to go to the Yonghegong Lama temple but as usual after drinking i was in no fit state for a days sight seeing, so we headed back to the hostel to chill out.

Later on online i did an online transaction from my bank account to Staceys using internet banking. She has a visa card so its easier for me to send her money and let her take it out. I transferred the money and then checked her account. It hadnt gone in, but it wasnt in mine.FUCK!!

I instantly rang Nationwide bank to tell them but someone told me that it should clear in the morning so i was relaxed.

DAY 2

After the commotion from the night before, we decided to go for a day at the Beijing Zoo and Aquarium. The zoo itself was abit of a disgrace but the Aquarium was much better. The only thing that really got to me was the chinese people. I have honestly never seen anything like it. They were picking starish out of tanks, grabbing turtles that were trying to swim round an already stupidly cramped pool. I tried to say something to a few of them, but the staff didnt seem to care so what was the point.

Before we left we got to see a dolphin and sea lion show in a huge arena, it was close to seaworld i imagine but a little less proffessional. We didnt stay to late as i wanted to go back and make sure the money had cleared.

Back at the hostel we realised it hadnt and our fears came true, i put it in the wrong account. So i was straight on the phone to nationwide and i told them what happened. Then the unthinkable was relayed back to me. All i had done was type in ONE wrong number, and the money had gone into another account. The woman on the phone said they couldnt just take it back, and i would have to go into my local branch and get them to send a letter the person whos account id put it in and "ask" for it back.

I lost it and shouted "Im in fucking China, and this is nationwides international number". So i said that surely this sort of thing happens alot, but she wasnt helping at all. She took the hostels number and told me that she'd contact my local branch and get them to send a letter to the person.

A FUCKING LETTER????  What fucking retarded bank sends letters to people to ask them to withdraw money that isnt theirs. I said for them to ring them and the woman still wasnt helping. And once more i was told if they didnt want to give it back , they didnt have to.

This was no small amount , it was 985.84p. I said that surely they had some sort of fail safe system for this but apparently not. I was almost in tears.

I called home and organised the troops sending them down the bank and everything, Staceys mum said that the bank had heard nothing and told her that the money had probably gone into a false or closed account. This was due to the bank not giving out account details with one number different with the sort code and account number.

Suitably fuming i rang them back up, this time i got a guy who actually sounded like he knew what he was talking about, he said it had gone into a closed account and the money would bounce back into my account after 3-5 working days. And due to the bank holiday at home i would have to wait for over a week to get that money back. It made me feel better, but until its back in my account i wont be happy!

What annoyed me the most is the useless people i had to deal with who worked the nightshift at nationwide, il certainly be writing a letter of complaint about it.

Deats says:
I would never go to a Chinese zoo again, fucking disgraceful shit. They have the endangered Siberian Tiger Park in Harbin - 12 of them starved to death this winter! Nice one.
Posted on: Jun 02, 2010