Warriors! Come out and Play!

Xi'an Travel Blog

The train we got from Chengdu arrived in Xian at around midday and we had to get to a hostel for the night as we had no luck with couch surfing.

But for some reason NONE of the taxis would stop for us, even though we had an address in Chinese, they just drove past us or went to someone else. This was quite annoying so we jumped on a tuk tuk and he just about found the place for us.

The hostel was pretty cool and we obviously took the cheapest room available. We were pretty tired from the train journey so we just relaxed for the rest of the day.

Until the evening anyway, when I got drunk and started congratulating some danish girls on Denmark winning Euro 92. Very amusing for them I imagine.

We got up at a respectable time and our first thing to do was to arrange train tickets to Pingyao, our next destination in China.

So we walked to the bell tower area and had a look at the cool buildings dotted round.

Eventually we found a train ticket dispenser and sorted out onward tickets. Afterwards took me to look for some stupid restaurant in the LP but we didn’t find the place as the map we had was so shit.

In the evening we struck backpacking gold when someone gave us two books we really wanted to read, and we even got it for free. Bonus.

After 3 days we finally got ourselves out to the Terracotta warriors. We had to que for a bus for ages but it was cheaper than doing the expensive hostel tour for like 3 times the price.

The warriors were really cool but if im honest, probably not worth the 90yuan price tag. We did however get student prices with our Khao san road special student I.d.s . On reflection we should of got a guide while there but in typical budget fashion we didn’t so were left to try an understand everything I remembered from reading the Lonely Planet.

Still well worth the visit though.

I hate the days where we have to wait around for a night bus or train. But the hostel was a cool place to hang out and meet other people.

We did go out though, looking for that stupid restaurant again and we still didn’t find it.And I was past bothering. Later on in the day we went to the muslim quarter which was cool. The food either looked amazing or horrendous there but we didn’t actually try anything. The thing that was really gross was the tables of tripe they had just completely covered in flies.

At 11pm we got our train to Pingyao and had good beds but the only problem was the fat guy asleep underneath us who sounded like a pig with torrets!

photo by: Deats