Find the Sultan!

Bandar Seri Begawan Travel Blog

Most of the whole day we spent in Brunei was spent travelling there and changing the numerous buses and boats involved in getting there. A guy on our bus who turned out to be Russian was actually refused entry for some reason and I think I read on another travbuddys blog that a similar thing happened to them.

When we arrived in Bandar seri beg wan we went on a night tour and saw all the highlights. We had an excellent tour guide called Abdul I recommend him to anyone who goes there.But I wouldn’t worry he will find you. We were all pretty sure he was gay and wanted a piece of Brian too.

We got to see the two ridiculously impressive mosques they had and they are by far the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen in my life. Abdul was very informative telling us about the sultans brother who embezzled billions of pounds worth of money and had been banished which was quite funny.We also got to go to the night market where we got some great food.

Abdul also made us want to got to brunei and teach English, because you get a free house, no tax, free healthcare and a very healthy salary. Both Stacey and I will be looking into going back to Brunei to work.

The only downside was that it was a dry country and there was no alcohol allowed so this would be a problem if we worked there. However just an hours ferry ride away is Pulau Labuan which is a duty free island full of pissed up Bruniens. How good is that!

James1985 says:
make sure you check out the night market when your there too, it had some really amazing food.
Posted on: Aug 19, 2010
James1985 says:
yeah good idea, a couple of days would be much better. Although the tour we did was top notch. The only problem with Brunei that it was abit more expensive than malaysian borneo.
Posted on: Aug 18, 2010
James1985 says:
Brunei tends to be famous for its extremely rich sultan, but the place is no more conservative than any other islamic country, the people were extremely nice too. Although i only spent a day there i could of spent longer.
Posted on: Jun 13, 2009