Mayday.. mayday..

Des Moines Travel Blog

the beautiful Rockies!!

It seemed as though I had been on hiatus from skiing, and in reality, I had! For the past six years, I had left skiing in the dust in exchange for trips overseas:) It lay by the wayside pleading for me to take it back, hoping that I would once again see the light and realize how much I loved flying down the runs! Although it took 6 years, I found myself in a van headed down an icy road wondering what I had gotten myself into.

On Wednesday we had heard that storms were brewing across the Midwest and that supposedly we could get hit . Little did we expect that schools across the state would close or dismiss early on Thursday and that school would be cancelled on Friday. NEVER did I expect the interstates that surround Des Moines to be closed all the way to the nearest states.. Minnesota and Nebraska! Once the interstates closed, I assumed that my dream trip to Colorado was cancelled. I failed to remember the fact that my brother is a little crazy when it comes to risk-taking:) As my co-workers begged me to stay behind, I headed off with dreams of the mountains, the sun, and the swish of the wind as I flew down the path.

The interstates were closed, so we headed SOUTH to Kansas City, Missouri and noticed a plethora of cars in the ditch.. including a FED-EX vehicle (so if you ordered by FED-EX and didn't receive your item.. it could still be in the ditch on the Iowa border:)...then over to Kansas, where we discovered at a SUBWAY in Kansas was the drug capital of the world. My bro did all of the driving.. perhaps he was leary of both my driving and my friend, Matt's driving?? After countless hours of driving, we finally reached our beloved condo at around 4 a.m. !!!

Soultraveler says: