Margaret River Travel Blog

Everytime I come back to the Margaret River region, it really makes me appreciate the beauty of the Australian landscape. Sure, it may be a lot drier, browner and sparser than other areas of the world, it may lack people or facilities, but it resonates with me, and makes me remember why I'm so glad to call this part of the world home (or at least, sort of close to it!).

Margaret River is famous for it's surfing and it's wineries, and we had a surfeit of beaches and wine tasting to last us for a while. The best part of the trip for me, though, was just sitting out on the deck of our peaceful holiday house looking down over the tranquil bay of Gracetown. Not even the construction work going on next door could detract from the view, and we saw some spectacular sunsets there as well as awesome vistas of moonlight sparkling over the bay.

But back to the wineries - one of the best ones we visited was Juniper Estate, just off the main Caves Road, where the wines were excellent. It's just across the road from the commercial giant of Vasse Felix, which admittedly has magnificent grounds, which are worth a wander.

The beaches here are also a highlight - coming out of school holiday season is a must, as you have these beautiful stretches of water and sand almost all to yourself. Day or night, they are perfect, and one of the most gorgeous stretches of aquamarine water I've ever seen can be found at Hamelin Bay, which is on the way to Augusta south of Margaret River off Caves Road. You can fish off the beach as well, and at sunset we were treated to a spectacle when dolphins and giant (and I mean giant!) stingrays came in to feed.

And who can forget the magnificent forests lining the roads everywhere you go? When I say "forests", many people often expect lush vegetation and greenery, but these tree-scapes are much drier and sparse looking, but still beautiful and there are many clearly-marked walking trails through them - I highly recommend taking a break from driving and having a short stroll, just wandering a short distance away from the road you feel enveloped in the peaceful forest sounds of whispering wind through leaves, birds calling - and not-so-peaceful annoying, buzzing insects!

There's something ultimately relaxing and soothing about a visit to Margaret River, and while I reocmmend you stay in a holiday home in one of the smaller towns like Gracetown or Yallingup, coming down here is a must when visiting Western Australia.