Volunteer Project with ´Nice Christians´

Esteli Travel Blog

Today I met up at 730am to first have breakfast with the Pastor´s family then at 8 to head over to the school to begin work.  Breakfast was good, homemade food (beans, rice, tortillas, eggs and sausages).

After breakfast I threw my stuff in the group´s van and we made our way to the school.  There were a few different jobs to be done namely working on making rebar frames, sifting sand for use in cement and rebuilding a fence.  Four of us guys got put on fence-duty.  It was nice to do some labour and get my hands dirty.  The work was made easy too by the laughing of the young children as they ran around.  We took intermittent breaks to play soccer with them.  I was thankful that the kids were so young so that I was still better at soccer than them.

Then at a little after noon we finished up worked and headed back into town.  I said goodbye to the christian group, grabbed some lunch then walked over to the bus station.  I got a little lost on way over there but my Spanish helped me along and I finally found the place.  My timing was perfect as a bus for Managua was leaving just that minute.  I purchased a ticket, hopped on the bus and off we went.

In Managua I jumped in a taxi and headed over to the Microbus station near the University of Central America for a bus to Granada.  I had only heard not too amazing things about Managua and mainly good things about Granada so I decided to bypass the capital.

The money collector on the microbus tried to rip me off but I had already asked an old woman the fare to Granada, then another woman stepped in and told the guy off.  I made it to Granada safely and found myself a place in a nice hostel called Hostel Oasis.  The place has a pool and free internet so I´m pretty happy with the set-up.  I think I´ll stay here for a couple days.

Esteli