Second Day in San Pedro

San Pedro La Laguna Travel Blog

The various coffees of Guatemala
Lise and I went for a walk this morning to explore the town and find something to eat without having to go to a restaurant which of course was becoming expensive.  We found some bread at a local store and cheese at another.  The concept of the "supermarket" is definitely a first-world thing.  Big Guatemalan cities seem to have the supermercado but all the small towns have little stores that sell different things so you have to go searching around if you want to build a sandwich.

Finally we found the fresh fruit and vegetable market.  We wanted to buy some tomatoes so we started looking around.  We came across a little girl who was selling roma tomatoes so we bought about 7 of them.  My experience at that very moment really opened my eyes to what I was experiencing in Guatemala.
View of the town from our hotel
  It´s hard to explain the feeling when the store tender has difficulty providing change for a bill worth less than $2CDN and told us that we had to find something smaller or she couldn´t sell us the tomatoes.

This was actually on the way to the market, but what the hell?!! I ran into Tara Trethewey walking down the mainstreet in San Pedro.  I noticed her and stood there still in the middle of the street until she got up to me and surely wondered why some strange guy was staring at her.  Then she looked up and laughed.  We made plans to meet later for dinner and went on our way.

Later that night our group of four met Tara and went to D´Noz for dinner and a movie.  The restuarant at 830 shows new movies every night.  That night was Mystery of the Mayas, some semi-interesting Canadian assisted film (I cheered when they showed that part).  I invited a couple lonely stragglers over to our table as well and we all ate a nice dinner together, despite the fact that my omelette was not fluffy and hardly up to my personal omelette standards.
Ran into Tara, wtf?!
Ran into Tara, wtf?!
Local political painting on the ro…
Local political painting on the r…