Great Day at the Lake

Laguna de Apoyo Travel Blog

At 10am we jumped into a shuttle and headed off for Laguna de Apoyo, notable for the lake´s elevation (apparently the lowest point in Central America).  About 15 of us arrived and headed down to the hammocks.  Brooks, a guy from Victoria that I met, and I ran down and swam out to the dock.

Then we got about 8 of us together and took the kayaks and inner tubes out into the lake and formed a huge raft and just floated there for about 3 hours.  A very nice relaxing day.

At 430 we headed home and jumped on to the internet for a bit then at 7 we got a large group together and went to the Bearded Monkey for dinner.  I had two beers with dinner but decided that I would take it easy tonight (the night before Jon put a live gecko into my drink and I didn´t even notice).

The courtyard of Hotel Oasis
  Brooks and I split a couple of things and it was probably one of the better meals that I have had while down here.  We started with the potato skins,  then had nachos and finished it all off with a chicken burrito.

We invited a couple Dutch girls that we met at the restaurant to join our group and we all made our way back to the Oasis for about an hour before going to Cafe Nuit for dancing.  The bar was full of people by the time that we got there, I suppose as it was having its 4 year anniversary.  We did a lot of latin dance and this guy Jon that we were with insisted that everyone in our group dance some salsa with a local.  At the end of the night the brought out a guitar shaped pinata and all the girls had a swing at it.

Hotel Oasis
  Then as it broke open and the guys in the bar turned ravenous and launched themselves into a pile of people and fought for the pieces of candy that fell out of it.  After the bar a couple of us went back to the Oasis for a swim in open air pool.

On the way back to Oasis a very strange thing happened.  I started to hear music but it didn´t really make sense because it was about 3 or 4 in the morning.  Then the music started getting louder and louder and then a truck turned the corner and headed toward me.  I realized as it got closer that there were about 6 guys sitting in the back of the truck with a full brass band (tuba, trumpet etc) and were blaring latin music down the main streets of Granada.  There´s Nicaragua for you.

Laguna de Apoyo