Biking and Drinking don't mix!

Mendoza Travel Blog

So today my Aussie friends and I took the 173 bus out to the wine country outside of Mendoza to go and tour the local wineries.  Apparently about 70% of all Argentinian wine is made in this area of the country.  When we got out there we rented a couple bikes from Mrs. Coca, a nice old lady and her husband for 10 Pesos each for the day.

At our first destination we met Julian, the owner of ViƱas Maria, a Malbec vineyard.  He showed us around his 4.5 Hectar property then we said goodbye and headed off to La Rural, the wine museum.  The museum was kind of a let down, it seemed a little disorganized but we found a bar where they were giving out free tasting of their cabernet sauvignon.

Then we jumped on our bikes and headed out to the next destination.

Our next stop was Historias y Sabores, a places where they make a lot of different liquors, creams, jams and chocolates.  Needless to say we enjoyed this place as well.  Between the three of us we tasted their Irish Whiskey, Chocolate Cream and Orange Fruit Liqueur.  Then off to the next stop.

We pulled into Tempus Alba, a very modern and well landscaped vineyard.  Upstairs we met Dennis, who for 13 Pesos hooked us up each with three tastings.  I tried first their Tempranillo, then Syrah then finally the Cabernet Sauvignon.  I wasn't too impressed with their Cab Sav but their Syrah was excellent.

Then we went to the next winery but realizing that we were supposed to have the bikes back about 5 minutes earlier we hit the road and sped back to the starting place.  Riding back rather quickly through, my bike came just off the road and my tire stuck on it's attempt to get back on the road and I fell off my bike and hit my head on the ground.  Helmets are a good thing!!  Anyway, I have a cut above my right eye that should heal in a couple days.

We dropped the bikes off without any trouble then jumped on our 173 back to Mendoza.

Historias y Sabores