Where the North island was born

Taupo Travel Blog

Dawn over Lake Taupo
Taupo is on the northern shore of Lake Taupo.  This is NZ's largest lake and is a body of water sitting in a volcanic crater.  This very crater was created during an eruption that also created the NorthIs. itself.

Maori legend talks about Maui fishing up the Nth Island with a magical jawbone.  He and his brothers were said to be fishing fromthe South Island (their canoe) when the youngest pulled up the fish-shaped land mass.

You can see the form that gives the idea to the legend.  Lake Taupo being the eye of the huge fish.

Taupo itself is a mecca for both summer and winter visitors to New Zealand.  With the lake and the mountains on Taupo's doorstep many adventure tourists see Taupo as the second best place in the country (after Queenstown in the Sth Is) to come for fun and excitement.
My brother on Taupo track

The city has grown a lot in the past 10-15 years but when I was growing up it was just a great place to come for a hot swim and a pizza in the middle of winter.

Later, when I began my carreer, it was a place to come to help the local cops police their events and New Year celebrations that seemed so often to turn into riots as drunken Kiwis got out of hand after the clock struck midnight.
  Luckily the Taupo crowd is a bit more grown up these days and they haven't had riots there for several years.  this is generally the sign of a good party.  people don't get angry when they're having tons of fun!

More recently Taupo spent a truckload of money on their race track and the A1 GP races have been held here.  The track is short and tight which makes for a hot and hard race.  I've driven on the track a number of times myself when I've had to work with cops that can't seem to "get" the training I provide on the road.
  In our cars we don't go quite as fast as the A1 GP cars, or even as quick as my brother used to whip his little race car around the track, but we have a good time none the less and at the end of the day my students are more competent than when we started.
Woopsie!
Woopsie!
Holden V8s thumping down the back …
Holden V8s thumping down the back…
Taupo Hotels & Accommodations review
Suncourt and a great pool.
When we had operations in taupo we would always be put up at the Suncourt because everything was there at our fingertips. Close to the city center … read entire review
Taupo