Surf City -Gisborne

Gisborne Travel Blog

Rowing the river through the city center
The ride from Hicks Bay down to Gisborne was an easy one and we stayed in a nice cabin on the Waikanae Beach side of the city.

Gisborne is so far out on the East Coast that it has everything that everyone needs as far as services and shopping goes, even though the city is not very large.

I come here regularly these days for work and I love the weather and the feel of the place.

There is plenty of Maori history in this town as it's one of the first places they landed.

It's also the first landing place of Captain Cook when he arrived.  Young Nick's Head is a high point owned by an American now.  He still allows people to climb the head and admire the view of the Gisborne coast below if you feel like you want to take a peek.

Gisborne has a busy port.  Ships are loaded with export pine logs so the place is bustling with logging trucks.  The rail area is slowly being overrun by apartment blocks.  Gisborne is a place to come and enjoy the sun, unless you're a farmer and then you just wish it would rain more often!

Some of the best surfing is found out here on the East coast beaches of Gisborne and it's no surprise that many of our best surfers hail from the area.

It's also the home of the Annual "Rhythm and Vines" music festival and the first city in New Zealand to see the sun.  What more could you want??
Rowing the river through the city …
Rowing the river through the city…
Whaangara Marine Reserve
Whaangara Marine Reserve
Colonial architecture
Colonial architecture
Gisborne Hotels & Accommodations review
Inner city comfort
When I need to be in close to Gisborne city I stay at the Pacific Harbour Motor Inn. The place is only 500 meters from the main street (Gladstone… read entire review
Gisborne Hotels & Accommodations review
First sun of the day
For a week every month for a couple of years I was staying at the Ocean Beach Motor Lodge, from where I started my work day in Gisborne city. Situa… read entire review
photo by: wendybodenmann