Snow Man!

Mount Ruapehu Travel Blog

Above the cloud
A couple of hours south of Tokoroa is the winter playground of three North Island mountains, Mt Ruapehu, Ngarahoe and Tongariro.

Mt Tongariro is weel known for it's track.  A moderate 5 hour walk during the summer is an activity many visitors enjoy.

Mt Ruapehu is well known these days as the basis of Mount Doom.  Peter Jackson started with this mountain and added the doom through a little digital magic.  I don't think I can see anything of Ruapehu in the Lord of the Rings location but it's still fun to know I've been there.

When I was a nipper we used to travel down to the snow once every winter.  My father would start the car at 4am and we'd get to the bootom of the mountain by breakfast time.  Opposite the Chateau we'd get our big tractor tube pumped up and then make our way up to happy valley where we'd spend the day bowling inexperienced skiers down as we raced out of control down the slopes.

Ahh, there aint nothing like it!

On our way hose at the end of the day we'd stop in at Taupo for a hot swim.  When we got back to Tokoroa as it got dark we'd swing by the bakery and get a piping hot, fresh baked loaf of bread and go home for a roast sandwich dinner.

Childhood dreams eh?!