Shiploads of sheep

Tokomaru Bay Travel Blog

Don't explore walking backwards with an eye through the lens!
Riding down from Hicks Bay along the Pacific Coast Highway (SH35) you'll pass through the small village of Tokomaru Bay which once was a busy port for the shipping of livestock around the country.

The NZ Shipping Company offices lie abandoned now, thanks to road transport, but are accessible should you want to explore.

We parked our bikes and I had a good old time snapping the decay until my foot fell through some foliage hiding a sheer drop to a loading platform below.
  Fortunately for me the rest of my body did not follow my foot and the foliage was strong enough to hold me.  A word of caution for those intent on exploring - don't walk around with your eye glued to the viewfinder!

Below the old buildings is the road to the sea.  Jutting out into the ocean is a wharf that has seen many many better days.  We walked out to the end of it and I'm pleased to say that some parts of the wharf have been restored but on the whole I was surprised it was accessible.

It won't be too many more years that this piece of history will be lost to the sea.  You'd better go now!
Dont explore walking backwards wi…
Don't explore walking backwards w…
Closed for business