River flows and chain worries

Dargaville Travel Blog

Rain filled river
It was a lovely day when Nic and I shot away from Hamilton on our bikes.

The plan was to go up to the tip of New Zealand for a few days.  Naturally we were well prepared, as always, with our wet weather gear packed on our bikes should the need arise.  Of course as we entered into the greater Auckland area the weather turned to it's usual grumpy self up here.  We stopped on the North side of the harbour bridge and kitted up.

We had an easy ride through the small towns and villages as we rode North.  It was our intention to get to Dargaville for the first night.  It was an easy target for the first day and we reached there at mid-afternoon.

The intermittent showers hadn't worried us too much but it was evident that the place had received some serious rain of late.  The banks of the river were brimming with dirty looking flood waters.

Our first stop was up to the Dargaville Maritime Museum and from the carpark we could see the true nature of the water.

We had a nice night in the youth hostel and next morning we found a nice cafe for breakfast.

As we took off from there I noticed nic had dropped away from behind me.  I turned back and found her on the side of the road looking at her chain.  I didn't like the idea of that.
  When I pulled up beside her it was very obvious the chain was too lose for her to continue.  We found out where the motor cycle shop was and made a slow trip there.  The owner couldn't help us with a new chain but he did what he could to tighten the one on her bike.  We just hoped like hell that it would get us up and back without futher incident.

As we rode back out onto the highway I was pleased to have a shaftdrive and therefore not have to ever worry about chain problems.
photo by: sissanoel