Bikes and boats

Bay of Islands Travel Blog

Ready to leave Hostel 11, Paihia

From Dargaville we headed up to the Bay of Islands.  There are several little towns nestled in the valleys and bays on this area.  This is the part of New Zealand post steeped in political history.
  Dargaville was the original capital of the country.

The treaty of Waitangi was signed at waitangi, here in the Bay of Islands, between the Maori and the English.  The treaty saw the end to the Maori Wars throughout the country.

Some historians sayMaori signed the treaty with the English as they were the better of two evils in Maori eyes, the other being the French, whom they didn't trust.

The first thing I noticed when we got to Paihia were all the Swiss flags fluttering about the houses.  Being of Swiss decent myself I felt pangs of pride at the bold ensign.  A bit odd I guess, since I've only ever spent 4 flying days in the country!

Anyway, we settled into the Paihia Youth Hostel, Hostel 11.  We then went out to explore this side of the bay.  The other side was more accessible by boat so we'd leave that for tomorrow.

Over the next couple of days we visited Keri Keri, the Treaty House at Waitangi and Russell.
Tall ship sail in the Bay
Tall ship sail in the Bay
Paihias church is believed to be …
Paihia's church is believed to be…
Waitangi meeting house