Taipei County Part One

Taipei Travel Blog

Finally I have reached the Northern tip of Taiwan into the Taipei County. As I’m traveling along the Keelung area the weather all of a sudden got better which could not have come a minute too soon. It is here that I took some decent shots of the beautiful coast lines facing the Pacific. As I travel along the Northern tip I when up the Keelung mountain checking out a old gold mining community which is now a historical site and a tourist destination. The top of this mountain also serves as a great burial site for those that could afford the price of the land. There were many great sights of the surrounding area once I reached the top of this small mountain. Things got a bit chilly as I was standing in the midst of the strong wind blowing from the Pacific. By the time I came down from the summit I was cold, tired and hungry. It was fortunate that I was able to find a some what hidden noodle shop right behind a giant statue of Guan Gong. Nothing warms you up better than with a bowl of hot beef noodle soup. It wasn’t great but it hit the spot. I wanted to feed some of the left over to the owner’s dog but she insisted not to have any guest feeding their pet.

By night fall I reached the city of Keelung the second most important sea port in Taiwan after Kaohsiung. I was greeted by the most jammed packed traffic that I have ever driven through in my short life span. It is also here that I discover how lacking the maps are in Taiwan. If you are planning to travel around Taiwan I would highly recommend at least not to purchase these small cheap maps at the local 7-eleven stores. To make matters worst road signs are not always where it is suppose to be. As I was traveling through the city of Keelung I discover many parts of this city are build on a rather hilly terrain. I did loved to see it during the day as it may some what resemble parts of San Francisco. After getting out of this maze I decided to continue to travel along the coast of Taipei. I reached all the way pass the township of Danshuei and Bali before I started to turn back. It is now time to explore the center of Tiapei which I'll continue in part two.

photo by: Deats