AsiaTaiwanYilan

Ilan County

Yilan Travel Blog

Yilan,

A distinctive North Eastern County that has a huge flat valley encapsulated by the mountains and the Pacific. Touring through Yilan was a great experience even though it rained half the time that I was there. There is something that just captivates me in Yilan that I just can’t quite put into words. Personally one of the most attractive aspect of Yilan is the rural environment living out on the agriculture farming communities. After the Snow Mountain Tunnel was completed that connects Yilan with Tiapei, cutting traveling time down to 30 minutes more city folks are starting to move in. This could possibly explain why so many nice new homes are being built right on the farming areas giving the landscape a unique blend of modern and rural atmosphere. Like many places in Taiwan you’ll be amazed at how much is hidden in one of these rural communities which makes it all the more fun to explore.

It’s obvious there are no shortages of Mountains in Taiwan and where there are mountains there are the hot springs. I decided to try it out while going through the famous hot spring area of Chiaohsi 礁溪. It ended up to be nothing more than a bunch of modern hotels that are built right on top of a huge under ground hot spring reservoir. Just don’t expect the all natural environment where you’ll get to see the beautiful sights of mountains while bathing in one of these.

Another spot that was recommended by the locals that I did not have time to go check out was Taiping Mountain or Taipingshan 太平山. In addition to the rain it would have required me to drive back down towards the South which I did not want to waste my time on.

Overall I think Yilan is a very special place to live if you like the rural environment but still wants to be located near by a metropolis such as Taipei and of course the Pacific ocean.

Yilan