My Daylily Collection

Manquin Travel Blog

My daylily collection began about 27 years ago on the island of Ocracoke, North Caroilna. I was busy attempting to earn a living on this small island. One of my incomes was from a deli restaurant that I opened with my significant other at the time. This eatery was carry-out only with a hippy-dippy atmosphere, Noah's A Movable Feast. As a way to make the food better I began an organic garden, mainly to provide lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cukes, onions, parsley and basil. This was a great idea and the garden soon occupied all the free space. I wanted the garden to look nice so I began to add flowers. I started digging roadside plants on my travels off-island and transplanting them in my garden. I had thought that all "ditch daylilies" were the same until I had a collected ditch daylilies from several geographic locations.  They are not the same. Yes they are all orange with ruby centers, but each geographic location was slightly different. Each area developed their own sub-species due to natural selection. I soon bought a number of cultivars from commercial growers. I acquired a few species of Asiatic lilies from a friend. I started to cross bread lilies. My collection now has 125 species and is located in Manquin, Virgina. I hope to start moving this collection to North Carolina late this winter.
regtheveg says:
How do you find the time Mike, with all your travels? Are they all from your home?
Posted on: Oct 02, 2010